Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ime 14 and train 4 mile about 3 too 4 times a week

I Have running trainers but run my 4 mile on concrete, is this too much for a 14 year old?

But the main problem is ive been getting a pain that when i run it hurts and make me slow down, its just below the knee cap and when i press against it it feels bruised. It takes a few days to go but when i train again it comes back after a couple of training sessions...

Is it shin splints? but arnt they further down the lower leg?

Mines kind of just below the kneecap starting on the upper bone of the lower leg, do I need to shorten my distance? should i see my gp about it?

It gets worse if I go out and train again, meaning i have to miss trainign sessions to recover but it usually returns a few sessions after

any advice would be much appreaciated :d
(its not hurting anywhere on the knee cap, basically below it on the upper leg, couple of centermeters from knee cap)

Thankyou =]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
sounds morelike osgood schlatter's

'Young teenagers, particularly boys, are the most commonly affected.'

'It is most common in teenagers who play a lot of sport involving kicking, running, or jumping'

'The main symptom is pain just below the kneecap (patella). The severity of the pain tends to flare up and down. It is usually worse during, and just after, activity. It tends to ease with rest.'

'A small, tender, bony bump may develop a few centimetres below the kneecap. This occurs where the patella ligament attaches to the tibia ('shin bone'). The small bump is permanent, although in time it becomes painless.'

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069040/

Check out the link above alan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Revenged said:
sounds morelike

'Young teenagers, particularly boys, are the most commonly affected.'

'It is most common in teenagers who play a lot of sport involving kicking, running, or jumping'

'The main symptom is pain just below the kneecap (patella). The severity of the pain tends to flare up and down. It is usually worse during, and just after, activity. It tends to ease with rest.'

'A small, tender, bony bump may develop a few centimetres below the kneecap. This occurs where the patella ligament attaches to the tibia ('shin bone'). The small bump is permanent, although in time it becomes painless.'

http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069040/

Check out the link above alan.
Just want to say thanks for the information, the word "Disease" on the end of osgood schlatter's on the website makes it sound serous? is it really serous?

The Bump doesesnt get any bigger when i train do i?
I dont want to quit as ime in the habbit of running?

One thing though, it tells me about waiting till it goes but wouldent it come back after some training sessions?

It only kinda hurts when i run but not when ime just sitting around the house and doing normal stuff so its not so serous...?

But when ime over 16 i should be okaY?

Thanks if you help again
:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
It does sound quite serious because it isn't a short term injury. The pain on running you describe can last for many months and gets worse when you increase how much you run. How long have you had this sort of pain? I remember you saying something about it before.

There is conflicting advice out there about what to do about it. I've had a quick look for you - one doctor told someone to not don't run at all until you are 16 when the condition should correct itself whilst others say that you can run with the pain. I'm not an expert and I don't want to advise you wrong - I really don't know what you should do. The traditional safe medical advice has always been rest so the GP is probably being overcautious. Whether rest is better than running on an injury is a debate among itself and as I run as well and have had injuries I'm probably a little biased. What you should do depends on the how bad the injury is. You really need to be seen by your GP (and probably also by a physio) if you want proper advice on how bad the injury is and if it's safe to carry on training ~15 miles a week. A physio would be able to give you exercises to do that would decrease your recovery time so it's a good idea to ask your GP to refer you to a physio. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
xAlanxEnglandx said:
Ime 14 and train 4 mile about 3 too 4 times a week

I Have running trainers but run my 4 mile on concrete, is this too much for a 14 year old?

But the main problem is ive been getting a pain that when i run it hurts and make me slow down, its just below the knee cap and when i press against it it feels bruised. It takes a few days to go but when i train again it comes back after a couple of training sessions...

Is it shin splints? but arnt they further down the lower leg?

Mines kind of just below the kneecap starting on the upper bone of the lower leg, do I need to shorten my distance? should i see my gp about it?

It gets worse if I go out and train again, meaning i have to miss trainign sessions to recover but it usually returns a few sessions after

any advice would be much appreaciated :d
(its not hurting anywhere on the knee cap, basically below it on the upper leg, couple of centermeters from knee cap)

Thankyou =]
well I have similar training pattern and similar problem..The pain was just below the knee cap...The doctors diagnossis is Chondromalasi patella...http://www.aafp.org/afp/991101ap/2012.html

Anyway as you are running on concrete,I have some advices to you..It may be protective for possible injury..
1)Try to avoid concrete if possible..In each time you run you hit the leg to concrete,this exerts the pressure to jonts..
2)If 1 is not possible,try to make your quadristeps strong..(sit to chair lift your leg straight...Keep the leg in that form for one minute..Do it daily..After some time add some weights to it..It will improve your muscles..The strong muscle may prevent the possible injury..
3)Listen your body good do not be indifferent to signals.
4)Know that avoiding an injury that is permenant is more valuable than making more miles...
5)So slow down and think about it...

Lastly I am away from running...I am doing daily exercise..It shows signs of recovery..But I have way to go...

·
Registered
21 Posts
good advice. I've had a lot of knee problems and improved my stretching and quad strength and it has gotten a lot better. It is also definitely useful to not run on concrete every day

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Revenged said:
It does sound quite serious because it isn't a short term injury. The pain on running you describe can last for many months and gets worse when you increase how much you run. How long have you had this sort of pain? I remember you saying something about it before.

There is conflicting advice out there about what to do about it. I've had a quick look for you - one doctor told someone to not don't run at all until you are 16 when the condition should correct itself whilst others say that you can run with the pain. I'm not an expert and I don't want to advise you wrong - I really don't know what you should do. The traditional safe medical advice has always been rest so the GP is probably being overcautious. Whether rest is better than running on an injury is a debate among itself and as I run as well and have had injuries I'm probably a little biased. What you should do depends on the how bad the injury is. You really need to be seen by your GP (and probably also by a physio) if you want proper advice on how bad the injury is and if it's safe to carry on training ~15 miles a week. A physio would be able to give you exercises to do that would decrease your recovery time so it's a good idea to ask your GP to refer you to a physio. Hope that helps.
well this pain started about 2 motnhs ago, about a few months before I set my self up with some running trainers and set out my course aroudn the country roads.

One thing which i did was stupid, i increased a 2 mile run suddenly too 4 mile as I thought i was ready for it, and I kind of got the pain when I run a few sessions after, and its a constant battle trying to improve my running as the rest days are taking over to try and recover, but after a few training sessions the pain returns...

(Ime okay running 4 miles when the pain isint there, but its a horror when it is, it really puts me nearlly into a slow snails pace)

Maybe I should return to two mile runs and take some of the impact of my legs and see how it goes?
Or maybe I should try softer surfaces?
Thanks for help...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
xAlanxEnglandx said:
Maybe I should return to two mile runs and take some of the impact of my legs and see how it goes?
Or maybe I should try softer surfaces?
Thanks for help...
It's up to you - it does sound like a sensible decision if the pain is bad.

I really think you need to see a GP and a physio as it is a long term problem.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
anka01 said:
well I have similar training pattern and similar problem..The pain was just below the knee cap...The doctors diagnossis is Chondromalasi patella...http://www.aafp.org/afp/991101ap/2012.html
No, it isn't a 'similar problem'... The diagnosis is completely different... Patellofemoral syndrome (chondromalasi patella) is caused by rubbing of the knee cap (patella) on the lower part of the thigh bone (femur) and stabilising the knee cap by strengthening the muscles surrounding it is the solution to this...

However, strenghtening the quadracepts is the worst possible advice you can give someone with Osgood Schatlers !!! The condition is caused by overactivity of the quadraceps on bones that have not fully mineralised... The last thing you should do is put loads on the quadraceps to strenghten them !!!...

No offence but in future I think you should be more careful what advice you give to people online... :eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts