Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two days after my spinning class and both thighs are still painful, its a nightmare getting up and down stairs and even walking is giving me grief. I'm so pissed off as I wont be able to go running again until they're better which will be god knows when.

I'm not going spinning anymore if this is what I have to put with each time :'(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This isnt just a bit of pain though, its agony at times! its not just when I move, touching my legs hurts too! I really wanted to go jogging tonight though theres no way I can with legs like this, besides the OH wouldnt let me anyway.

I really hope the pain resides tomorrow....

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Take a rest day, open a bottle of wine and have some low fat chocolate cake.

What I was meaning is the fact you cannot run for a couple of days seems frustrating, but long term the benefit of being able to run stronger will mean it is worth it.

PS If you find any low fat chocolate cake let me know where :p

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol! you're right, I know you are. I'll let you know about the chocolate cake, thats if there is any left!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Get out for a gentle recovery run or walk Liz3yy, It will probably do you good.

the cycling uses a different muscle group, and a gentle run or walk will help to disperse any lactic acid build up.

You should treat the spinning class as you do your running- dont go to hard at first, until you get used to it. It's like taking up running and instantly doing hard workouts, you wouldn't do it.

Did you stretch properly after your spinning class? If not, this may add to the problem.

Be patient not a patient.:(

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks hotfoot, I probably will go out for a gentle walk round the block shortly as my legs did feel a little better after going out this afternoon.

We did warm up and cool down during the class though maybe not enough? it didnt occur to me at the time as I was wobbly I just wanted to get showered and go home!

I was wondering on another note as well if my diet might play a part too? I've heard getting loads of protein is good for muscle recovery?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Glad you're feeling better Liz3yy.

warm up/cool down isn't enough. That is to prepare your body for the excercise ahead and then to ease your heart rate to a lower pace when finishing the excercise.

you still need to stretch, more so afterwards. Be careful not to over stretch your muscles if they are cold before excercise.

If you were wobbly, it's probably because you pushed yourself hard, may have been a sugar dip?

as with running, make sure you are hydrated enough before and during the excercise.

protein is needed for muscle recovery but you need carbs etc aswell.

maybe try to take a banana and a sports recovery drink for afterwards, have it within 20 mins or so of the excercise to gain maximum benefit.

but don't wait 'til you get home absolutely famished and then have a big meal!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again hotfoot, I obviously didnt stretch enough afterwards then. I'll try the banana thing afterwards too as I hadnt eaten before hand and was famished when I got home. I made sure I was hydrated enough by drinking before the class and by getting through a whole bottle of water during, would a sports drink be better?

I've just got back from a gentle walk around town and gingerly tried stretching my legs after. I feel a lot better and could get up the stairs this time without swearing! My thighs are still sore - I should add its just the fronts of my thighs that hurt, the backs are fine - but not as bad as they were this morning.

Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Thanks again hotfoot, I obviously didnt stretch enough afterwards then. I'll try the banana thing afterwards too as I hadnt eaten before hand and was famished when I got home. I made sure I was hydrated enough by drinking before the class and by getting through a whole bottle of water during, would a sports drink be better?

I've just got back from a gentle walk around town and gingerly tried stretching my legs after. I feel a lot better and could get up the stairs this time without swearing! My thighs are still sore - I should add its just the fronts of my thighs that hurt, the backs are fine - but not as bad as they were this morning.

Thanks again for the advise.

Water or sports drink is just a matter of preference, as long as you are staying hydrated and getting the balance of foods right one way or another you'll be fine:)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
its a nightmare getting up and down stairs
i always get that - down stairs is the worst... loads of times i have to do the steps one step at a time and hold onto the rail... it does go away in a day or two and in the end you'll be stronger for doing the exercise :)...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i always get that - down stairs is the worst... loads of times i have to do the steps one step at a time and hold onto the rail... it does go away in a day or two and in the end you'll be stronger for doing the exercise :)...
Glad I'm not alone then! fingers crossed I get stronger from this suffering then :)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
The front of your thigh will hurt as you don't really use those muscles when running but you do in cycling. A wee massage would help!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The front of your thigh will hurt as you don't really use those muscles when running but you do in cycling. A wee massage would help!
That'll give the other half something to do tonight then!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts