Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen Paula Radcliffe have another terrible run at the olympics,i really do hope she recovers & gets it right in 2012. However i do feel that she & her husband got it wrong in the timing of having their first child. We all saw what happened in Athens,yet she bounced back to win again.But surely with Beijing around the corner,maybe it would have been wise to delay starting a family until afterwards ? Once having had her child,it was a case of "catch up "which inevitabley had led to her injuries,which in the end led to her downfall. Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
72 Posts
She knew she wasnt fit enough so she shouldnt have gone.
I know its not what people want to hear but I wish she would just give it a rest.
Twice she has tried and twice she has sacked it
Congratulations to the two other girls (which irritates me even more that no one is singing there praises)

Not trying to wind anyone up just my opinion

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I don't think the baby affected things at all... I mean she won in New York after giving Birth to baby Isla - so I'm sure that can't have affected her preparation.

From what i've read, Paula trains very hard, and seemingly suffers a fair few overuse injuries as a result... as a result of her injuries, yeah she was playing catch-up.

It's easy to see her performance as a failure, yes she was well off her best - but she still finished second out of the British women? Who could've ran instead of her that would've improved the position of the British female marathoners as a team? :confused:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe she should've stepped aside for Hayley Haining,Paula would've known in her own heart that she was'nt ready,we all do !

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
she doesn't actually need to prove anything, she is already the womens world record holder, this would just be the cherry on top of the cake, which I think she will storm in 2012.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I think she will/and had every intention of running in the 2012.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i hope the whole paula circus doesn't pitch up in 2012. i dont think i could bear the endless reports about her 'brave' struggle coupled with the inevitable teary meltdown when things don't go her way, or even if they do.

i know she is an excellent athlete but she also seems to me to be incredibly egocentric and desperate to stay in the media spotlight. i think thats the real reason she was in Bejing - she couldn't bear not to be the centre of attention even though she must have known she would be hopelssly uncompetative by her own high standards.

still, we got to see her cry on TV yet again.....zzzzzzzzzzz

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Its the typical british way of things....we have done it with andy murray, tim henman and many others.

When they do well we are all very proud of them and think they are great, the minute they fail boy do we let them know about it! It's pretty unfair I reckon, they are all much better than many of us, hence the reason they are in the Olympics and such like.

Its a shame she didnt do well but I don't think she did it for the attention, if I had the chance to run in the Olympics I would still go whether I was race fit or not, the experience must be worth it if nothing else.
It could well have been just the need to run a race, I think most of us know how that feels, once you've done your first race they become addictive, times that by 100 and I reckon that's what it must feel like to race for your country at an event like the Olympics.....

O.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah i hope she pulls it off in 2012,i think she will. Not that i'm an expert but going back to 10 kms for a while & getting that speed back which took her to that incredible World record. Then & only then,get back into racing marathons.
I think Haile Gebreselassie is a wise man,he opted out of the marathon citing the "smog" as a the reason.Instead he raced 10k knowing he probably would'nt figure in the medals,yet having a fast 10 km under his belt would pay dividends in his defence of the Berlin marathon in the near future.
Back to basics Paula please & take the gold in 2012.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have resisted from posting because i find peoples attitude to her attention seeking a little harsh....

Her life and her job is to be a professional runner.

How many times have people on here raced and not did as well as anticipated, it makes you feel gutted, when you just cant get the energy or the legs to get you to the end in a decent time... i have seen devastation on faces at races because they went over by a few mins, so why is paula any different ?? its her passion, running is in her blood, thats why she cries.

She also is running for her country, dont think she wanted to end up 23rd but she carried on....... 23rd for a runner with a inury is exceptional.

She is an inspiration and always be... there will be up and coming British long distance runners in the future BUT to me seeing Paula win the New York Marathon after having baby will always stick in my head and I near enough cried for her... i felt her passion then .. they said she would never win the NYCM and she proved them all wrong, i so routed for her and i was proud to be BRITISH.

I agree with O. about the british way of things, they did it recently to Lewis Hamilton they have done it to becks and they will do it to Paula ...... then when she comes back fit and ready and wins again they will all be proud of her again .. gets on my goat.

Everyone has there own opinion but this is mine, whatever anyone says she is a icon and role model for up and coming athletes etc.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well said Leece, I couldn't agree more or put it better :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well said Leece, I couldn't agree more or put it better :)

I agree wholeheartedly.

I get into the doldrums when a niggle keeps me from running for a week, and am sure I would be tempted in my heart to race with an injury whatever my head was telling me.

It must be so hard when running is your life and career.

Compare Paula to some athletes who drop out the moment it looks like they are out of the medals (I think one did it in the men's 10,000m) - I know which one - for me anyway - embraces the Olympic spirit and which one doesn't :cool:

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Paula is not the only athlete to have cried after an event in this olympics or past events.

Completing a marathon is an emotional event, regardless of the level that you are at.

Should Tysen Gay have bothered competing at all in the 100 mtrs knowing that he wasn't "match fit"?

Should the Chinese hurdler have even bothered to warm up knowing that he was carrying a potentially career threatening injury?

Paula's attitude was an admirable one in my opinion. It shows just how passionate she is about her sport.

I wonder whether certain comments would have been made on the forum had she been Scottish?

and I ask that, being of Scottish descent myself.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
If she had been Scottish, I'm sure all the Scots would be demanding she receive a welcome home parade, key to every city in the country and another Knighthood created especially for her ;)

I can understand Tyson Gay running when he wasn't completely race fit, because you just never know in the 100m. He wasn't injured, he was just a bit out of shape. But he was still fast and could have snatched a bronze if he had had a good day. Paula was clearly well below her best and incapable of even getting close to a medal. She must of known this. If she did just want to go and complete it for personal reasons, then she succeeded. So why wasn't she happy about that? I'm just sick of her constantly looking miserable.

As has been said before, she has a reputation for over training, which leads to all these injuries. Maybe in future she can learn from this.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I`m with you on this one HF.

BTW. I did mention it on another thread,but you still on for the 10k`s.(Canvey,Southend,Billericay.)
Looking forward to those Dave, all 3 hopefully.

I'm doing the phoenix striders 5k tonight at the Langdon visitor centre, are you doing this one?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I`ll be there HF.

It`s a tough 2 laps..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts