Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I done the Glasgow 10K today and posted a time of 44:24 (according to my garmin). Its my first race since starting running again in May of this year (after an absence of about 17 years).

As I said on the newcomers forum on my first post - I used to do a lot of running to a decent standard whilst at school. In the summer I'd tend to race 800 & 1500m on the track, and over the winter I would do x-c.
As I was running in the youth section the races tended to be quite short - but when I was 15 (19 years ago) I did do our local 10K.

I finished in the top 10 and would have posted a time much quicker than todays effort. I have no idea what time I posted as I didn't keep a note of it after I started a career of drinking/clubbing etc and stopped my athletics. I could go to the local library as they keep archives of the 'local' newspapers we have here and they may have the times in them somewhere.

My main question is though - do I treat todays race as a PB or should I strictly speaking use the one from 19 years ago when I was much fitter and much faster.
In the strictest terms I guess the one from when I was younger is my PB - but it would be an unrealistic aim at the moment and feel todays one would be a truer reflection.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Would be interesting to see what you did back then - but I think seeing as you have started afresh with the running, you have set your benchmark as an adult (drink ravaged and all!) and personally I would use that, rather than trying to compete against a younger self.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Had a very similar time to yours for my 10k today, clocked it at 44m 40s I think... will wait for chip timing results to come up online but PB for me too :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
As you're starting again after such a gap I would regard today's time as the benchmark, and it's a good one, if you've achieved that after only taking up running again in May then there's loads of improvement possible on what is a great (re)start. Must admit though if I were you I couldn't resist a peek back.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers lads - you've confirmed exactly what I was thinking. I will use today as the benchmark, and may try to find out original time for research purposes only :p I did have a look on-line but the results they have on there only go back to 2000 - I need the 1990 results.

I am very happy with my time - but am looking forward to getting a lot more miles training under my belt and hopefully better it at my next race. I don't think I will be racing regularly though - mainly concentrating on training and perhaps taking part in events that are local to me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
With a load of training under your belt you could smash your pb next June at the Men's Health Forum 10k at Bellahouston, it's a pretty flat course and where I got mine (44:41) last year. On the other hand if after some more training you fancy a challenge sign up for the Edinburgh 10K next May, tough hill in Hollyrood park, but good fun and addictive (I'll be back next year for my 4th go at it, unfinished business!)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
my official chip time for today is in at 44:25 - looks like you pipped me at the post! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Personally I'd say a PB is a PB... regardless of when it was set. Though without an actual recorded time from your youth you can't count it as PB - so your current time is your PB.

If you did have a time recorded somewhere from your younger years, this would still be your PB, but not your benchmark by any means... after all Personal Best means the best you've personally achieved, you can always refer to your "PB as an adult" etc... try not to get too caught up in terminologies n that - what's most important is that you're running and getting some very respectable times!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I ran in the 80's and had a 15 year break before coming back. When I came back I had to start from scratch again so I class this second time round as different and count PB's as different from the PB's I got in the 80's (if that makes sense)

For example, my marathon PB from the 80's is 3.17 but I currently count my marathon PB as 3.31, because I've achieved it since I came back to running

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I work to one set of pbs...and they are all recent.

I'm sure though I'll work to age grading soon..........

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my official chip time for today is in at 44:25 - looks like you pipped me at the post! ;)

Nope - my official chip time came in at 44:26 - they very kindly added on an extra 2 seconds :)

Looks like that dip at the line won it for ya ;)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Nope - my official chip time came in at 44:26 - they very kindly added on an extra 2 seconds :)

Looks like that dip at the line won it for ya ;)
Yeah, but roadrunner25 dipped in a completely different race though, there is nobody on 44:25 at Glasgow. Great performance Badz, inside the top 300 out of 6000+ (I was 430).

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Calton - you too.

From the few people I know that ran it (and have done previous 10K's) they said it wasn't an easy course and found it quite hilly.
I don't really have anything to compare it to so can't comment but have heard of a few people that have done it before being disapponted with their times.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it turns out my Glasgow 10K is officially my PB :) (though official is 2 secs higher than quoted above).

I was in the library yesterday and it turns out the race I done was a 5-mile race and not a 10K, also it only quoted the times for the first 3 and I think I was either 6th or 8th, so as I have no record of it - I wont have anything to use as 5-mile PB either

1 - 17 of 17 Posts