Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran the Birchwood 10k today - previous 10k best was 54:36 (or 53:50 if you count training), sprinted over the line today in 52:50 - my dream of a sub 50 gets closer :d

Was only my fourth race, but I felt much better able to pace myself and "switch gears", although I did make a few mistakes - but for the first time I even managed to do a bit of a sprint finish and enjoyed every second, after finding the last couple of races hard going at times.

Cold weather and a bit of rain certainly helped - I even managed to power up a few hills that came late in the course :cool:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Excellent stuff well done mate! I knocked about the same time off my 10k PB today, too :d - seems like the day for it!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Well done Rob and Roadrunner84!
Ta :) - just realised how impersonal roadrunner84 sounds! My name is no longer N/A...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done, Rob. Your times for 10K are very close to mine - check my times on my profile and you will see that I'm still chasing a sub-50 too! The funny thing is I can run a 5K in 23:38 which should really translate to a sub-50 in a 10K but it doesn't seem to happen on the day. Congrats on knocking them minutes off your previous time:)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OOOHHH congratulations

Bet you feel on top of the world

:p

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Great going both of you, your sub 50's aren't far away.

I am chasing that too :d

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well done, Rob. Your times for 10K are very close to mine - check my times on my profile and you will see that I'm still chasing a sub-50 too! The funny thing is I can run a 5K in 23:38 which should really translate to a sub-50 in a 10K but it doesn't seem to happen on the day. Congrats on knocking them minutes off your previous time:)
Am sure you will do the sub 50 sooner or later! Maybe a bit of friendly rivalry will push one or the other of us to be the first under, although you've got closer so far :d

I've been running 5k a lot in training, and got down to 24:40, which really helped. Although in Sunday's race I was a bit astonished when I'd done the first 5k in sub 25 - I knew I couldn't sustain that so had a bit of a slow down for a k or 2 before going all out towards the end :cool:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Am sure you will do the sub 50 sooner or later! Maybe a bit of friendly rivalry will push one or the other of us to be the first under, although you've got closer so far :d

I've been running 5k a lot in training, and got down to 24:40, which really helped. Although in Sunday's race I was a bit astonished when I'd done the first 5k in sub 25 - I knew I couldn't sustain that so had a bit of a slow down for a k or 2 before going all out towards the end :cool:
are you doing regular 5K trials? I try to make them near me when I can, work allowing, and they really help to push you on and some/most of the people that go regular make steady decent improvements. I don't mind your offer of a friendly rivalry:) although I may have the advantage being just outside of 50 mins. that said, you will see the majority of my 10k's are at approx 51-52 mins and there isn't really any recent improvement. I've got one next month, when's your next one? :)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you doing regular 5K trials? I try to make them near me when I can, work allowing, and they really help to push you on and some/most of the people that go regular make steady decent improvements. I don't mind your offer of a friendly rivalry:) although I may have the advantage being just outside of 50 mins. that said, you will see the majority of my 10k's are at approx 51-52 mins and there isn't really any recent improvement. I've got one next month, when's your next one? :)
I kind of just do my own 5k time trials, against the clock, and have got from 26 to 24:40 over about 6 weeks, so it's moving along - am going to see if there's anything local that I could get to by way of running with other folks etc.

My next 10k is next month too - Sept 7th - although it's the Great Yorkshire Run, so it will be pretty crowded being one of those Great Runs with 10,000 people etc, so I might end up running 11k with all the zigzagging - but will certainly be fun to see how close I can get to 50 and report back :d Hopefully I've another the week after, but it's a trail 10k which I've not done before then am not sure - they seem a bit thinner on the ground in winter, in my locale anyway!

Good luck at your race - maybe we'll both hit sub 50 at once :cool:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My next 10k is next month too - Sept 7th
Funny... we both achieved new 10k PBs in events on the same day, and our next events are both on the same day again - think I'll be doing the Cardiff 10k on September 7th. I Promise I'm not trying to create even more parallels than there already are here! :confused:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Funny... we both achieved new 10k PBs in events on the same day, and our next events are both on the same day again - think I'll be doing the Cardiff 10k on September 7th. I Promise I'm not trying to create even more parallels than there already are here! :confused:
Lol - well let's hope for a couple more coinciding PBs :d

·
Registered
506 Posts
Roadrunnerrob,
I'm not suere wherabouts in Manc you are but you should check this 5K Parkrun site out Course

it's Bramhall Park, I think that's Stockport way, and it's free every week, all marshalled by volunteers. There is one near me and it's great when I can make it - I have to work some weekends.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Roadrunnerrob,
I'm not suere wherabouts in Manc you are but you should check this 5K Parkrun site out Course

it's Bramhall Park, I think that's Stockport way, and it's free every week, all marshalled by volunteers. There is one near me and it's great when I can make it - I have to work some weekends.
Thanks will check it out. Being self employed I seem to work most weekends! :'(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts