Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may sound a little vague and bizarre but I'm intrigued!

Basically, I have been jogging for a couple of years without really taking it seriously, purely for fitness, and have only recently competed in races. I never really time myself or accurately measure how far I run so it could be said that I am not a really serious runner. I have only ever competed in 2 actual races, 10k in May and 5k a couple of weeks ago, and actually did better than expected; 41.08 in the 10k and 19.15 in the 5k(with some hills!)

I eat fairly healthy diet but do eat a lot of sweet/treat type foods so it is not perfect but it is fine for recreational running. I am nearly 25 so am probably past my peak but I am wondering how much I could realistically knock off those times with improved/structured training. Part of me thinks that I could do better but another part thinks that I can't do an awful lot better and they may have been 'lucky' runs. To be honest, I was shattered after both of them so don't think I could have done much more anyway. I guess that running decent times in my first two races is a bad thing as I have set a fairly high standard (relatively speaking) for myself and future runs will not be as good.

Interested in any opinions.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Put it this way... I am a 45 year old female and my PB's aren't a huge amount slower than yours... so with structured training, at your age there's masses of room for improvement...if you want it

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess so, but that could mean that you are a very very good 45 year old athlete!

Training and preparation (for most things I do) is my big downfall, particularly when doing it alone. I think a proper training and nutitional plan would be necessary for me to improve but I don't want to start taking myself too seriously as it's never going to lead to anything other than decent amatuer running.

·
Registered
664 Posts
As Trinity says, at your age loads of room for improvement if you want to go for it. I am 54 and have only been running for the last two and a half years. I still think I can improve on my pb of 44:41 for 10K (and am determined to do it) - but I will always wonder what I might have done if I'd been running at your age. Having a structured plan doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend more time running than you might currently do, just that's it's planned with improved times as the aim. For me it's just a personal challenge to see what I can achieve - if your happy just staying fit that's OK too.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Hi I'm a 49 yr old, last tuesday took 28 seconds of my 5k pb to record a time of 19 27 i really don't take myself seriously just enjoy running , but as you asked about pb's you'll have no problem improving those times at your age.

Most important though enjoy yourself:d

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I've run for almost as long as I can remember. I had my best (fastest) years when I was in my early 30's, (I'm now 44).
You have a vast potential to improve your running. The only thing stopping you is you. If you want to improve badly enough, you will put the work in to enable you to achieve your goals.
Don't get hung up on the diet side of things: it's the actual running that's important. If you've got the energy to run, you'll be ok. Compared to a majority of the runners on this Forum, my diet is very poor. But I'm still able to run 11 times a week, clocking up between 60 and 70 miles... So I get by. :embarrassed:

·
Registered
177 Posts
AdamD said:
Part of me thinks that I could do better but another part thinks that I can't do an awful lot better and they may have been 'lucky' runs. To be honest, I was shattered after both of them so don't think I could have done much more anyway.
At 25 with the right training i'm sure you could improve on your times if you want and sure you will. I'm 25 too and only started running out doors in Jan (been treadmill junkie for years) i've competed in a few 10K races and a couple 7.5 mile ones. I've seen my PB tumble with every race i've competed. I put this down to the more races and training i do the more you learn.

I've been shattered after every race althoubgh i still manage to improve. My motto is if i can achieve that time in a race then i train to try and run that time on a regular basis, As whenever i've done a race with the atmoshpere etc. i find it is always possible to run faster than you do on your regular training sessions hench improving your PB.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You're certainly NOT past your peak... peak age for an optimum 5k is 'supposed' (said by brainy people using statiscal analysis) to be 27-28yrs old, and this optimum age becomes older as the race distance increases.

This again depends on what you start seriously training... so many of the forum members (probably the vast majority) are still achieving new PB's now and are varying numbers of years your senior...

As trinity says - masses of room for improvement if you want it!

·
Registered
943 Posts
AdamD said:
How serious do I need to take running?
Depends what you want to get out of it. If you want to be win races then I'd say very seriously, if you just want to enter races for fun but aren't bothered about where you come then not so much.

But to say you're over the hill (excuse the pun) at 25 is a little strange!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts