Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just a little question: do you only count race times for your PB's? Or training times, which I understand will usually be slower, are valid as well? I don't know when I'll be able to join a race, so I was thinking of measuring myself in a 5 km route. Will the result qualify as my PB, or I cannot proudly display it in my personal profile? :p

Look at the BEAUTIFUL 2.5 km (2x) route I've set to test myself... :cool:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Your personal best is the best you personally do! Be it in a race or otherwise! Usually people go all out in races, thus why that's when they usually get a PB.

I have no idea what my PB for anything is - I don't usually time myself accurately on outdoors runs.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It's all down to personal preference... If I beat my race PB in training, I'll refer to the time in training as my 'best time' but not my 'Personal Best'. I think I avoid quoting training times as PB's as they're not on an 'official' measured circuit.

Normally if you beat your PB in training then you're due to beat it in a race anyway, so it's only a matter of time. If comparing PB times against someone else, I'd use my best time (including training times) to compare. :)

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Have to agree with Richard here.
PBs for me are run in races.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Steve said:
Have to agree with Richard here.
PBs for me are run in races.
Ihave to agree wityh Steve and richard whats the point of races otherwise

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I only ever seem to run PB's in races! I don't think I'd count a training session, as the training is meant to build towards a good time in a race.

If I never raced, I would probably count a training time as a PB.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Trinity said:
no idea what's going on in here but I'll agree too :rolleyes:
Thats the best way to be having no idea that is makes you see things more clearly:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Another factor could also be the sort of route you use in training, so as a city dweller all my training runs can be subject to 'traffic' interuption when crossing roads; not hat many, but on a 10k run enough toadd on a few minutes, so a race where roads are closed to traffic is always going to be quicker, even before you factor in the improvement you get from both adrenaline and the option of tracking other runners maybe just a little better than you.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Strictly/conventionally speaking, PB's are taken from races. You can have your own "course records" for your training routes of course, which is something that I've always done...
... Actually, if you think about your own personal routes, you may be the only one to run on that specific course, which means that you actually hold the WORLD RECORD for that route! Great, eh? View attachment 338

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pedestrian said:
Strictly/conventionally speaking, PB's are taken from races. You can have your own "course records" for your training routes of course, which is something that I've always done...
... Actually, if you think about your own personal routes, you may be the only one to run on that specific course, which means that you actually hold the WORLD RECORD for that route! Great, eh? View attachment 338
Cool! I declare myself king of the Bay of La Concha route!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Wait, I'll do it on Sunday :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Darnit!

I thrashed my 1/2 marathon PB by 5 clear minutes on a training run the other day, was going to ask this very question.

Still... 1:33:38 Who's the daddy?!? :cool:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
blimey... well done

I'm going to have to up my game, I'm getting left behind here! :confused:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Katten said:
Darnit!

I thrashed my 1/2 marathon PB by 5 clear minutes on a training run the other day, was going to ask this very question.

Still... 1:33:38 Who's the daddy?!? :cool:
Have asked Ma Steve this many a time!!:d :d ;)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
...and what was Ma Steve's response

although I can probably guess :d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts