Runners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am new here and just looking for some advice. I have recently got back into running after being away for quite a while. I decided to try barefoot shoes as I was building back up from scratch anyway, I thought it would be a good time to bring them in.
Long story short I appear to have damaged my peroneal tendon (or at least I think I have) as I have a small swelling below my ankle bone and some mild pain when I run. It wasn't caused by trauma so not sure how itnhas happened.
I really love my barefoot shoes and don't want to go back to trainers.
What can I do to help heal my ankle and any advise from other barefoot runners about how to stop this happening again?
Thanks in advance
D x

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Still having issues?

Barefoot running is a different type of load on your foot so parts not used to bearing much load can take time to adjust

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all. I am new here and just looking for some advice. I have recently got back into running after being away for quite a while. I decided to try barefoot shoes as I was building back up from scratch anyway, I thought it would be a good time to bring them in.
Long story short I appear to have damaged my peroneal tendon (or at least I think I have) as I have a small swelling below my ankle bone and some mild pain when I run. It wasn't caused by trauma so not sure how itnhas happened.
I really love my barefoot shoes and don't want to go back to trainers.
What can I do to help heal my ankle and any advise from other barefoot runners about how to stop this happening again?
Thanks in advance
D x
If you have recently got back into running, you will find that tissues have adapted somewhat. Tissues adapt to what we do or don't do with them and changing running style to barefoot shoes is a large change for most people. Hence, the are a stack of variables relating to how well tissues adapt to such changes. Variables will include distance, terrain, duration, recovery periods, nutrition, fluids, speed of runs etc. Typically, injuries occur if tissues are not given the correct environment to adapt. Equally, previous and unresolved injuries can also play a part. I have previously written an article on adaption and two other highly related articles, though might not be able to post it on here due to spam rules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts