Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to running this year and coming up to my first winter. I will definately be running in the evening in the dark. I do stick to main roads, but some of them don't have many people about and are poorly lit. I was thinking about getting a personal attack alarm. Anyone got one they would recommend? Do you take it out with you or does it get left in a drawer most evenings?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
A few things to consider... (partially stemmed from my lack of knowledge on the subject!)

If there's not really anyone around - is a personal alarm going to achieve anything? Will people be able to hear it and recognise it as someone being in distress?

How does it work? I've only ever seen one, which was a cord with a pin going into an electrical device - is it a case of carrying the device along and pulling the pin out when you're in trouble?

Could something else do a more thorough job, such as a mobile phone stashed in a discreet pocket?

As I say, I have little/no experience of these things... so the questions are just things that have come to mind first :)

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I think the idea is more that it makes such a noise it throws your attacker off guard for long enough for you to get away and summon help- after all, your attacker's not going to wait patiently for you to get your mobile out of your discreet pocket and call 999...

I carry a whistle and a 'phone, but I've not had to use them yet (touch wood).

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I think the idea is more that it makes such a noise it throws your attacker off guard for long enough for you to get away and summon help- after all, your attacker's not going to wait patiently for you to get your mobile out of your discreet pocket and call 999...

I carry a whistle and a 'phone, but I've not had to use them yet (touch wood).
nicely put Ali.

I take my mobile with me, if I run on my own, but generally I would be able to knock a someones house and take my chances. But fingers crossed it will never come to that.

Sorry I can't recommend anything.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Usually you either press something or pull out a ripcord. The thing to be sure of is that they keep going until you turn them off- I'm pretty sure the one they gave all the female freshers when I started Uni would stop if it got knocked out of your hand, but that was a while ago now and I'm sure technology's moved on a bit since then!

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Thank GOD for that - I have just found what I was looking for all day for this thread!! I saw this yesterday - for £12, if it gives you piece of mind, then maybe worth investing in!

Doberman Security - Jogger Alarm - £12.74 : Running4Women Store

I would suggest though that high visibility would also be a deterrent to possible 'lurkers'! I would suggest maybe running with a club, or a friend/group as it gets darker... or stick to early mornings/week-ends. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think I'm going to have to start doing my long runs in the mornings. I live out in the sticks so personally, it's unlikely that anyone would hear an alarm on a lot of the route. Of course, if I persuade work to let me work at home I can be more creative with my time...

However, back on topic...my work alarm is in the shape of a marker pen to disguise it's true function - good idea, but not suitable for running. The others I've got (a relative works at a GP surgery and reps give them lots with various drug names on!) tend to have a rip cord. The trouble is, these are for the most part apt to come apart when you don't mean them too, so the activity of running could set them off by accident, which would be something to watch out for.

How does everyone carry a mobile/alarm with them? I'd like to, but I don't have any pockets in my running gear. Is it uncomfy?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I don't wear proper running gear (it's not been a problem yet...), I have a pair of old stretchy capri pants with fairly deep pockets so the mobile goes in one pocket and my bunch of keys (with whistle attached) in the other. It's fine, in fact I have to keep patting my pockets to check they're still in!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I would suggest maybe running with a club
One with nails in it, maybe....?:lol:

Seriously though, reading this thread made me mad at the idea that women have to feel this way about such a simple thing as going for a run, where as a bloke I take my safety and solitude for granted. Not fair. Bloody society.:(

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Coorrr, I like a girl who doesn't feel the need to shave her arms ;)

On topic, I agree with above. It is a sad reflection on society that people don't feel safe walking in their own community :(

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I use the Doberman personal alarm that was linked, it is really loud and easy to take as you obviously wear it on your arm. I also carry a mobile phone in my hand so I can diall 999 quickly. In the winter I sometimes carry a big heavy torch, it is not a weapon (so not illegal like a knife) but be can be used for self defence!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
On topic, I agree with above. It is a sad reflection on society that people don't feel safe walking in their own community :(
Thing is, I DO feel safe walking in my own community, but often wonder whether I'm being dumb and should start being a bit more paranoid.

·
Banned
1,167 Posts
I think it's always best to be prepared for anything, even if you live in a good, relatively "safe" area.

That goes for males as well as females.

Personally I'd recommend everyone carry a phone, & women, an attack alarm in your hand as you run, (no good having to fumble in your pocket if something happens) & I wouldn't run with an I-Pod in your lug-holes, (as a lone female in the dark)as you want to hear what's going on around you. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts