Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 5572 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think this forums has a pet peeves thread yet!

Well I haven't been running for long but do I have some pet peeves, oh yes!

Right #1 School-kids! About 10 of them all huddle up together taking up the entire path forcing me to run onto a really busy rush hour road or come to a full stop. They see you coming from a mile off but for some reason they don't go single file, little shits.

#2 Dog owners and there dogs. KEEP IT ON A LEASH if its in a public place, already Im pissed off about this, your dog does not have right of way. for all I care you can pick it up out of my way if there is not enough room or yank it away or whatever. Im not scared of dogs but that doesn't mean I want to get bitten. If your dog shows too much interest and you don't restrain it then by god I will.

And finally numero #3 Not a major one since most of the youths in this country nowadays are anti-social chav scum but please, don't label us all! Im a 19 year old skin head and resent chavs but what I resent even more is getting dirty looks from people and in some cases people crossing the road to avoid me because they see a teenager comming there way, I even say hello and smile! :rolleyes:

Any to share with the community? :lol:

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Theres been quite a few threads about the topics in question if you search the old threads .

I agree that just because your 19 and adopt a certain look doesn't make you a bad person Fs;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I don't think this forums has a pet peeves thread yet!

Well I haven't been running for long but do I have some pet peeves, oh yes!

Right #1 School-kids! About 10 of them all huddle up together taking up the entire path forcing me to run onto a really busy rush hour road or come to a full stop. They see you coming from a mile off but for some reason they don't go single file, little shits.

#2 Dog owners and there dogs. KEEP IT ON A LEASH if its in a public place, already Im pissed off about this, your dog does not have right of way. for all I care you can pick it up out of my way if there is not enough room or yank it away or whatever. Im not scared of dogs but that doesn't mean I want to get bitten. If your dog shows too much interest and you don't restrain it then by god I will.

And finally numero #3 Not a major one since most of the youths in this country nowadays are anti-social chav scum but please, don't label us all! Im a 19 year old skin head and resent chavs but what I resent even more is getting dirty looks from people and in some cases people crossing the road to avoid me because they see a teenager comming there way, I even say hello and smile! :rolleyes:

Any to share with the community? :lol:
As Mr.C says... It's been said before. I even think that dogs/dog-owners have had dedicated threads!;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Middle aged men who walk around in replica football shirts even on days when there isn't a match

Bad manners

parents who don't take control of their children

Women who want to swim but not get their hair or make up wet and give you the evil stare when you swim by them

There are lots more but I don't want to end up a Victor Meldrew clone so I'll keep shtum:d

·
Registered
466 Posts
One of my peeves is other runners who look at you but completely blank you when you say hello or raise a hand. It's not hard to raise a hand to acknowledge a fellow runner.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
One of my peeves is other runners who look at you but completely blank you when you say hello or raise a hand. It's not hard to raise a hand to acknowledge a fellow runner.
Totally agree !

Policewomen who put their makeup on in the patrol car whilst in a queue of traffic in cardiff, wish i 'd had my camera :eek:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Indeed there are other threads about these things - I bit my tongue last time but as a runner and dog owner I feel I must retaliate. I am the proud owner of 2 great danes (very large dogs). One is a young male, he's full of beans and given the opportunity would run after runners and bark at them, because of this if I'm running, or walking him near where people run I keep him on a lead. If he's off lead and I see a runner I call him back and hold his collar, he's well trained, he comes back he doesn't bother anyone. My other dog is very old. She came from a rescue and has had a pretty s**t life, she's got spinal problems and to be honest she's probably not got much longer on this earth. She loves to be off her lead, snuffling through the hedgerows. She has no interest in runners, she won't even sniff them. Again if she's off her lead and I see one coming I call her back, sometimes she's not quick enough, she gets in their way and they have to run around her (I do my best to avoid this and it doesn't happen often) - I'm sorry but this is not the end of the world! I have to run around push chairs, kids on scooters, toddlers, people on roller blades and really annoying things like rocks and patchs of nettles. If I wanted to run in a solitary and sterile environment I'd run on a treadmill in the gym.

Perhaps we could all try and be a little more tolerent of other people who enjoy outdoor pursuits. I am very aware of the fact that my dog does not have right of way and that some people do allow their dogs to behave in a way that is irresponsible. Just as the not all skin heads are thugs not all dogs are savages, indeed many British people consider them to be mans best friend.

I shall now expect a barrage of abuse and will probably have to change my user name.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I shall now expect a barrage of abuse and will probably have to change my user name.
Well you won't get none from me. I have a border terrier and she's a little monkey. Last summer when I used to run on and off, and as I wasn't taking it as serious I'd take her out with me. One particular day I decided to let her off her lead down these old railway lines as no-one was in sight. Next thing I turned around and a bloke was running really fast towards us and as she's so friendly she ran towards him and he nearly tripped over her and broke his neck. God I felt awful and if looks could kill..............I don't run with her anymore.:)

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I'm with you on the not running with the Border Terrier Dimple I took my out with me and ending freezing and hoarse from shouting at him. My Slab on the other hand runs so well to heel she almost doesn't stop when she needs to answer natures call.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Right! Get him!! :lol:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's just the badly-behaved ones that annoy me. If the owners vaguely know what they are doing there's never really a problem

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Right! Get him!! :lol:

I think I speak for everyone when I say that it's just the badly-behaved ones that annoy me. If the owners vaguely know what they are doing there's never really a problem

But I didn't mean to upset anyone with my little bitch pooch, honest :)

Am I to start digging now? Pedestrian come and help me out here, bring us a spade:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes there's no denying it she is. She's crap at running to, she tends to pull me back when on one of those long leads. So I'd be running and then I get my arm yanked as she has gone a different way.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My dog is a great running partner and runs with his nose practically superglued to my leg, I very rarely let him off the lead when I'm running as there are too many other runners around;) Also he weighs 75Kg and it's all muscle, if you run into him you'll stop not trip.

This thread did get me a bit riled though and made me realise what my pet hate is. When I am walking my dogs away from the usual running routes they are both off the lead. If I see a runner coming I call them back and put them back on their leads. 9 times out of 10 the runners run past without even acknowledging me let alone thanking me for interrupting my walk to make their run more comfortable. Maybe they think I'm only doing what I ought to but since loads of other dog walkers don't bother a thank you or smile might be nice. I also smile at other runners when I'm out running but as somebody said earlier they usually just blank me, maybe it's because I've got a dog and am therefore not a proper runner:rolleyes:

·
Registered
62 Posts
The dog owners around here are all pretty responsible. There are these nice trails through the woods that I really enjoy, and I see plenty of dogs there, especially in the AM hours. One of my pet-peeves directly relating to the trails: People who get high then go wander around in the woods.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The dog owners round here are pretty good too, I've only had one bloke not stop their dog from jumping up at me but I wasnt too bothered as the pooch was very cute and I was muddy from running anyway! What I dont like are people who ignore you when you make the effort to say hello or smile at them as you go past

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
anyone else noticed that if they're out on a hard run and try to say 'hi' or 'thanks' or something, that the air always seems to come out the lungs quicker than expected? This usually means my kind words have a bit of a grunt to them :lol:

I'll thank someone who restrains their dog, but I have to admit if they're walking it in a public place it is (in my opinion) their responsibility to keep it out of others' way. If i'm running hard intervals around the local park, the last thing I want is to have to break my stride to skip around dogs wandering all over the shop.

1 - 20 of 5572 Posts