Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought a new pair of shoes a month ago the guy that sold them to me showed me some stretching exercises, which I do in my weekly YOGA class.

They really do help. Especially when you stand feet hip width apart, fold your arms in front of you, holding your elbows. Then,SLOWLY SLOWLY SLOWLY...............bend forward and down.

You let your own upper body weight GENTLY take you down,breathing deeply.
Then just hang there and you will find you can gently get lower but DON`T PUSH IT.

If you can stay bent for up to five minutes, that`s great...............but 2 minutes is ok.

Then, SLOWLY SLOWLY, SLOWLY................UNBEND.................

It is a fantastic stretch.

My other/ better half also goes to our local Leisure club and her PILATES teacher is also a runner.

She said PILATES STRETCHING EXERCISES also help your mobility.

So tonight, instead of a run, I will be going to a pilates class for an hour ( MAYBE A RUN AFTER )

If any one is interested I will report back tomorrow.

;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Louise

I too would be really interested. Im currently doing a lot of core work on the fit ball and doing some body weight exercises (from Matt Furey) and finding then really helpful.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Following on from this, i really recommend Tai Chi for runners, as it is great at strengthening the legs and core muscle work.

My OH teaches Tai Chi and Qi Gong (pronounced 'chi gong') which means 'energy work' . It is the art of cultivating vital energy. The exercises are slow and steady which promotes health and vitality. It is also a great way to relax and is a great help with regulating breathing etc, which i have found really useful when running.

If anyone wants any info let me know and i will get some more information from him.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pilates was very good. Anyone that says it is easy isn`t doing it properly.

I am aching still where I didn`t ache before............but Now I have more stretching exercise to draw from in preparation for a run.

It is well worth trying out and I will do another class about one a month I think,just to keep the stretches going.

Also I do a yoga class on a saturday morning and again I find that helpful to loosen up before a run.:d

1 - 7 of 7 Posts