Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its really good!! I have been a couple of times to classes at my gym, on my 'rest days' which happen to be the night before a club run. I want to recommend it because it is really helping me with my core strength, as well as opening up my chest allowing me to take in more oxygen. It also helps stretch the legs and stretch some of the muscles which are hard to work in typical stretching sessions. It also helps flatten the tummy - which gets no help from running (annoyingly!)

Has anyone else found this benefits their running?

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Never done this....fizz did suggest I attend a class though some time ago...never did....class was full of ladies!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Never done this....fizz did suggest I attend a class though some time ago...never did....class was full of ladies!
this is the problem i am trying to get over.. i think its a good idea in theory.. im just very self consious in a room full of women doing deep breathing :confused::worried:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have about 3 blokes in our class, but yes about 12 ladies... I think its slowly losing its feminine image though (hence why I didnt post this in the 'Ladies' section). I think people that go are doing it as part of a overall fitness plan (which is why I do it)...

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is the problem i am trying to get over.. i think its a good idea in theory.. im just very self consious in a room full of women doing deep breathing :confused::worried:
There isn't much deep breathing actually - its more posture and muscle work.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
which gym are you a member of out of interest SB?

I used to be a member at cannons and once tried to goto a 'body-pump' intriductory class, though I stood around outside the room with a load of people and the time for the class came and went... so I buggered off :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we're both at cannons :)
Its a good gym - but yeah there is a lot of standing around outside.. I usually go on the cross-trainer for a bit and keep an eye on the crowd until the room is open.

We have also planned a few running routes from the gym - so adds variety from running from home/club. Its always fun running up the hill past the technology park on the way back!:push:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
lol, that's one of my regular routes! loop round past the tech park, then past the schools, Homebase, Sainsbury's, ten-pin bowling etc... I usually wimp out and run DOWN the hill rather than coming back up it though ;)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That was your reason for not going in!!!!?????

I'm off to google a local class!
Its true - there are lots of supple women! Also - great if you are a 'bum' man! You get lots of sticking out poses, whilst clenching ... like 'the cat'! (Sort of like a cat arching its back when its being stroked!)

·
Registered
674 Posts
I took up yoga last week and just had my second class. I feel a bit like the class idiot, but I am already feeling the benefits and am really hopeful it'll contribute to my overall fitness. Should have started years ago, but back then I wouldn't because I only knew one person that did it - my Grandma! There are some incredibly bendy people at the class, some of them men too.

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Its true - there are lots of supple women! Also - great if you are a 'bum' man! You get lots of sticking out poses, whilst clenching ... like 'the cat'! (Sort of like a cat arching its back when its being stroked!)
That's it I'm moving to where you live and joining Cannons. Cheers for the image!

·
Registered
693 Posts
I have a pilates DVD and gave it a go last week. I found it so relaxing that I nearly fell asleep!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Thanks for posting this thread, SB- been thinking for ages I ought to look for a local class and you've inspired me! I went about half a dozen times a few years ago, on fizz's advice- great for core muscle strength, but I'm afraid as soon as my hips stopped hurting I stopped going... Time to start again!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
I've found somewhere for doing Pilates classes they do one on one sessions and the guy there said I will have my Pilates license in a few months.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts