Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed a pretty hard run - been trying to get my average mile time down to sub-7 minutes over moderate distances (about 5 miles today). But just after a mile in, I felt a slight *ping* at the top of my left calf and behind my left knee, followed by a distinct but short-lived pins-and-needles type rush through the calf muscle. It was a bit like banging your funny bone, but... in the leg?!? It felt minor enough that I could keep going, but I'm thinking now that might have been a silly move.

Now I'm home, it's enough to give me a bit of a limp after my warm-down. It's also coupled with some pain in the left shin, which has been threatening for a few days.

I might have been pushing myself too hard, but I had thought up until now that my approach to training had been quite measured. I've been doing between 20 and 25 miles every week for 5 weeks - bar one where I was waiting on a bit of advice before getting new shoes.

I'm quite miffed :( initial googling reveals talk of calf strains, but we'll have to wait and see. Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
No idea what it may or may not be - but wish you the best of luck with it and hope it's just something minor.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
rest might be your option, but how does it feel today?

Hope it is not too serious :(

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for concern :)

It's feeling ok today. A bit of R.I.C.E. did me the world of good I think (I'd gleaned this from elsewhere in the forum!)

Going to rest for a few days now (was hoping to get a 10k PB this Sunday :confused:) I guess we'll see! Might try a bit of swimming later this week - hmm...

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
that is a good sign, I would definitely rest it like you have said, you may still be able to do your 10k on Sunday also :confused:

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Stretching and gentle excersice should help but keep everything slow and steady. You should be back in no time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts