Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I did the Race for life last year and bought some running shoes, the place I went to videoed me on a running machine then told me which shoes I needed. Whenever I run maybe for half an hour (well at the moment that is more jogging and walking) I start to get pins and needles round the ball of my foot to my toes(in that area). I initally thought I had tied the laces too tight so I bought some longer laces and slackened them off a bit but I still seem to get it. Has anyone got any ideas to what might be causing this?

Thank you for any help

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
How long have you had your shoes? You are supposed to change them every 300-400 miles or every 6 months.

Do you get the sensation at any other times or only when running? Numbness or a pins & needle sensation usually suggest a neural problem but for a proper diagnosis you should seek professional advice from a podiatrist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for our reply.

After I did the race last year I carried on for a bit but the pins and needles drove me bonkers so I gave up, don't get me wrong if I stop jogging and give my feet a wiggle it goes away. Anyway this year I joined a gym where I wear the same shoes, when I am on the cross trainer or the running machine I get the same sensation. I am wondering it it is the shoes I got them in the sale but they had been 69.99 and they wre recommended but is this possible have you heard of this before?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I'm not an expert but as I said pins and needles normally suggestes a neural problem - I know that sounds scarey so I would really recommend seeing a podiatrist. You could always get a referral through your GP or you could go private they usually charge around £30 and some have a special interest in sports/running related conditons.

Try googling Mortons Neuroma or metarsalargia and have alook at this link:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=221

It sounds like you've had this problem for a while so it might be time to bite the bullet and keep posting so we know how you are getting on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Would agree with all that, a podiatrist will be able to advise you. But meanwhile do you think it would be worth getting your feet measured again and next time you buy trainers perhaps going for a different make. If the toe box area is too big your toes might be taking a pounding because they're moving round too much? Also do you have partic wide or narrow feet? This could be a factor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same story here

hello, I have the same issue, jog for about 35 minutes and my feet both got pins and needles in the same area. I saw a chiropractor and started electric shock therapy and tenderizing on one foot. I stopped going since it was winter, and I want jogging much anyway. I went for a jog again last week, and the foot that was treated, after a 40 minute jog was perfect! the foot that wasn't treated showed the same exact symptoms from before, pins and needles in the ball of the foot to the toes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts