Runners Forum banner

Pins and Needles

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  northrunner 
#1 ·
Hi, I did the Race for life last year and bought some running shoes, the place I went to videoed me on a running machine then told me which shoes I needed. Whenever I run maybe for half an hour (well at the moment that is more jogging and walking) I start to get pins and needles round the ball of my foot to my toes(in that area). I initally thought I had tied the laces too tight so I bought some longer laces and slackened them off a bit but I still seem to get it. Has anyone got any ideas to what might be causing this?

Thank you for any help

#2 ·
How long have you had your shoes? You are supposed to change them every 300-400 miles or every 6 months.

Do you get the sensation at any other times or only when running? Numbness or a pins & needle sensation usually suggest a neural problem but for a proper diagnosis you should seek professional advice from a podiatrist.

#3 ·
Hi, thanks for our reply.

After I did the race last year I carried on for a bit but the pins and needles drove me bonkers so I gave up, don't get me wrong if I stop jogging and give my feet a wiggle it goes away. Anyway this year I joined a gym where I wear the same shoes, when I am on the cross trainer or the running machine I get the same sensation. I am wondering it it is the shoes I got them in the sale but they had been 69.99 and they wre recommended but is this possible have you heard of this before?

#4 ·
I'm not an expert but as I said pins and needles normally suggestes a neural problem - I know that sounds scarey so I would really recommend seeing a podiatrist. You could always get a referral through your GP or you could go private they usually charge around £30 and some have a special interest in sports/running related conditons.

Try googling Mortons Neuroma or metarsalargia and have alook at this link:
http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=221

It sounds like you've had this problem for a while so it might be time to bite the bullet and keep posting so we know how you are getting on.

#5 ·
Would agree with all that, a podiatrist will be able to advise you. But meanwhile do you think it would be worth getting your feet measured again and next time you buy trainers perhaps going for a different make. If the toe box area is too big your toes might be taking a pounding because they're moving round too much? Also do you have partic wide or narrow feet? This could be a factor.

#6 ·
same story here

hello, I have the same issue, jog for about 35 minutes and my feet both got pins and needles in the same area. I saw a chiropractor and started electric shock therapy and tenderizing on one foot. I stopped going since it was winter, and I want jogging much anyway. I went for a jog again last week, and the foot that was treated, after a 40 minute jog was perfect! the foot that wasn't treated showed the same exact symptoms from before, pins and needles in the ball of the foot to the toes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.