Runners Forum banner

What Will RS's finish time be for Tonight's 5 mile Club Race?

• Sub 28:30

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 28:30 - 29:00

• 29:00 - 29:30

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 29:30 - 30:00

• 30:00 - 30:30

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • 30:30 - 31:00

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 31:00 - 31:30

• 31:30 - 32:00

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 32:00 - 32:30

• Over 32:30

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bit bored... and interested to see how close people can guess my finish time for tonights Club Race.

Key Facts that may influence your decision:
Tonight's Club Race is a fairly Undulating (mildly hilly) 5miler.
My Current 5 mile Personal Best is 30:47
My Last club race was a pretty flat 4.75miler which I tapered for - I finished in 28:15.
My last rest day was last Friday.
Training since then has included, long 13mi run, steady 5, speedword (11x400m), 8mile club run, football match.
I'm high spirited though muscles feel a bit tired.
The Club has a predicted finish time for me of 31:01

Go on... have a gamble ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
30 flat. Go on RS!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Don't worry, just revel in the knowledge that you could probably sleep through the race quicker than I could run it :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I also voted 30-31. I think your exact time on the garmin will be 30:46.27

You are a a fast 5 miler. Quickest 5 miler I've done is 32 minutes, but that was part of a 10 mile run. Never run a one off 5 miler

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The unofficial result is in thanks to Mr Garmin...

Mile 1 - 6:15
Mile 2 - 5:34
Mile 3 - 6:02
Mile 4 - 6:23
Mile 5 - 5:43

TOTAL - 29:59

Nothing like scraping through a barrier eh? I'll hopefully be back after me din dins to write a mini race report - if not, looks like a job to do at work in the morning ;)

Congrats to whoever guessed correctly - your prize is in the post :d

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Congrats. That's pretty fantastic. I'm impressed. Now you need to go break an hour for 10 miles. If you do that I will be very jealous!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I do believe I was only 1 second out if the unofficial results are anything to go by ;)

Well done RS, I think you deserve the limelight a little more for running that time than I do for guessing it! heh!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Mile 2 was a bit quick tho wasn't it... slight pacing problem there. I reckon you could've gone faster if you had put that time in on mile 4 and gone a little easier in mile 2

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's hard to say really... I ran what I felt was a well paced effort, though on paper it does seem that it was way outta line. lol. I would certainly have to change my original statement of 'fairly undulating' to what I would call Hilly. the course by no means has ascent/descent stats to blow your socks off, but the climbs were long and quite steep whereas the descents were on the whole, very short and sharp - Not condusive to an optimal time.

Mile 1 was mainly a steady climb,
Mile 2 was a slight descent, dropping 25ft over the mile.
Mile 3 was a sharp drop, followed by a steep climb, slight descent and another steep drop.
Mile 4 was a long hard climb, longer than 'the hill' at Glooston, though not quite as steep (but not too far off!), followed by a descent of similar magnitude then a long steady climb for the 2nd half of that mile.
Mile 5 dropped fairly sharply, levelled out, climbed again before a final steady descent to the finish.

I'd like to think if it had been a flat course I could've managed near 5:45 pace. :worried: I defaintely hope official time is 29:59... I started on the start line so not really any margin for error. (or is there!)

JBB - the day I can manage sub 6min miles for 10miles I'll be a happy man :) I think you're much more likely to reach it first than I am - I just can't seem to translate my shorter distance times/paces to the longer distances :(( Methinks I need to shed some more weight! :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Official Results are in!!!
And my official time was a rather boring 00:29:59, lol.

Placed 2nd overall, wooohooo! I wasn;t sure of this yesterday as it's done on time rather than finishing position, and a few guys were late to turn up but were still timed ;)

40seconds off the previous course record of 29:19, though that was broken by 1st place who finished in 28:41 - Obviously wasn't a very quick record in the first place though eh! :p

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Official Results are in!!!
And my official time was a rather boring 00:29:59, lol.

Placed 2nd overall, wooohooo! I wasn;t sure of this yesterday as it's done on time rather than finishing position, and a few guys were late to turn up but were still timed ;)

40seconds off the previous course record of 29:19, though that was broken by 1st place who finished in 28:41 - Obviously wasn't a very quick record in the first place though eh! :p
Fantastic...well done!!! :)

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well done Richard.

IMPRESSIVE........... how do you do it :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts