Runners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy, flat footed runner here. A few months back, went to a foot doc about some pain in my foot which eventually turned out to be planar facitis (man, how do you spell that?).

Anyway, he gave me an injection of cortizone, told me to ice and elevate, and I'd be good to go. I got some special insoles for my running and work shoes, etc.

Well, it's four months later, and my right heel is...numb? Just started after a long slow plodding run yesterday. Not painful, but every step, there's an odd sensation there that is a red flag, telling me that something's wrong.

I can presume it's the same problem as before, but now what? Am i supposed to go through life getting cortizone shots every four months or so? I've been on and off running since then with the weather getting colder...but...I don't know. I'm just not happy, and I've got a major personal event in eight months I don't want to have to sweat over.

Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cortisone would be the last thing I would go for,UNLESS the doctor can hit the centre of pain spot EXACTLY.
I had a major problem with this injury for years,it is unfortunately one of the hardest to cure totally.I still get symptoms of it with too much hard surface speed work.
The area initially needs compression by correct bandaging and inner shoe support,staying off steep inclines and such.Lots of icing helped me.Stretching rarely helps
since the action pulls an area which is trying to mend itself and you just undo the mending effect by stretching.Google plantar fasciitis to get lots of info.
Good luck mate,I know what a depressing injury it can be,but you can get through it and race long and fast.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts