Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at week 7 of my training, and I can run 2.3K.
Now my plan is to run the Edinburgh marathon next year (if I get picked).

Some of the people I have told have said I wont be able to do it:confused:
But if I keep at my training plan I should be ablt to run 26 Miles.

What do you think?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Absolutely no problem at all. Find a good training program and stick to it - don't worry about getting a fast time - you can do that on your next one ;) Ignore the doubters. Just do it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am running 5 days a week, and am really enjoying it.:d
And I am finding it quite easy, even when I push myself.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
You can do it! You have over a year to train, so it should be no problem.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise - my mum told me that running a marathon was for ultra-fit folk and I would struggle to finish it. Needless to say, I proved her wrong.

If you want to make sure of getting a place next year, there a two ways to guarantee a place:

1-Enter the Great Scottish Run - whether you run the 10km or half marathon race, you will get a place in Edinburgh. I think you have to tkae the guaranteed place by the end of September, though. This might be a good idea, as it will give you a goal to aim for in the meantime.

2-Join your local running club - as you're from Scotland, you will be able to get a place as a club runner.

Good luck with your training.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it is all I can think of at the moment, and cant wait for it to arrive:d

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Go for it LR.

Ignore those pesky doubters it is just jealousy as they couldn't even think about doing it let alone even run any kind of distance, they should be supporting you.

Keep us posted of your progress.

TT :d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
You certainly can do it...but you must train carefully and not do too much too soon...join a club for help with training and to get encouragement along the way.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes joining a club is a good idea. I have entered the London Marathon next year but have been talked into doing the Hastings marathon on 14th December.

But I have joined a local club and am about to start doing a pilates class (Already do yoga).
Both are good for warm up stretches and these are as important, if not more so , than your actual running.

You can`t run with a pulled muscle.:huh:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I ran in to a bit of trouble *if you pardon the pun*, had a bit of bother with my medial ligament, but with rest and and a little help off the physio I'm back on track. Well a bit behind on my training but not much I can do about that.
Onwards and upwards:d :d

·
Registered
18 Posts
From my experience I can tell you that most people who say that you can't do something have not tried it yet or have no experience at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts