Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the site as I am hoping to get advice on a few problems I have while running recently. I am well into my first marathon training to which I am following a strict plan. However approx. 4 weeks ago I started to develop quite severe blisters on my right foot insole arch. My current running trainers were Brooks at the time which I had done well over 500 miles in so I thought a fresh new pair of running shoes would help the situation. On recommendation I bought the latest ON cloudflow supportive running shoe. My first 3 runs (averaging 15 miles) were perfect and no blisters but now the blister has returned with a vengeance. My latest run (yesterday) I used a very expensive blister plaster and wrapped my foot in a breathable bandage but still managed to aggravate the blister after 13 mile and made running impossible. I have approx. 10 weeks left of training and am very concerned that if I don't sort this problem I may have to pull out of the marathon. Please has anyone got any suggestions? Many thanks for reading.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't know if you got the shoes in a shop or online, but you really need to try running in shoes before you buy them. What works for one person does not work for another and so you have to take recommendations with a gigantic truck load of salt.

With regards to the marathon:

Cross train while you can't run. That means either do the miles on a bike or in a swimming pool or both. You can quite easily adapt speedwork and long runs to bikes; you just have to keep in mind you will go further and faster on a bike so you'll need to do more miles than you would on foot.

As long as you cross train and can run again maybe 2 or 3 weeks before the marathon you will probably be OK, but you will probably have to adjust any time goal you had.

A friend of mine did her achilles in a few weeks into marathon training before Brighton. She did all her training in the pool while she was injured then did a couple of 13ish mile runs and I think 1 20 mile run a couple of weeks before the marathon. She finished the marathon and wasn't much slower than her original pre-injury goal.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
you need to play about with it.

you need to keep your feet dry

therefore, wash and dry your feet before you go out, say if you're running after a days work they're already going to be sweaty

other various options

-use talc
-medical tape on the area which blisters to reduce friction
-check the shoes as to whether anything can be altered to reduce friction

·
Registered
750 Posts
What makes you think you need a supportive shoe? Sounds to me there is a structure in the shoe that is pushing up against your instep. This could be if the shoe is trying to correct overpronation. You don't say you actually tried on the shoe before buying.

There is evidence that shoes marketed to correct so-called defects in running style, such as too much pronation, in fact do nothing to change injury frequency. The best advice is simply to use shoes that are comfortable. If your shoe and situation sounds at all like this I suggest you go back and find a neutral shoe that is comfortable. By that I mean in a shop or shops, trying lots of pairs on at your leisure.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
What makes you think you need a supportive shoe? Sounds to me there is a structure in the shoe that is pushing up against your instep. This could be if the shoe is trying to correct overpronation. You don't say you actually tried on the shoe before buying.

There is evidence that shoes marketed to correct so-called defects in running style, such as too much pronation, in fact do nothing to change injury frequency. The best advice is simply to use shoes that are comfortable. If your shoe and situation sounds at all like this I suggest you go back and find a neutral shoe that is comfortable. By that I mean in a shop or shops, trying lots of pairs on at your leisure.
:tup:

good advice. Seems to me that running is the only hobby which leads people to take medical advice from shop assistants :d

1 - 5 of 5 Posts