Runners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, ok so heres the problem, i have been running for about 3 weeks now, haven't run since i left school ten years ago, i do a lot of cycling & couple of months ago i did a big tour of the uk fully loaded so my legs are pretty much built for cycling at the moment.

thing is i always wanted to get into running, so i started with just a mile off road along the river near where i live, i always walk 5-10 mins to warm up, then have a stretch & run the mile then walk for a futher 10mins & strectch afterwards. over the past few weeks i have slowly increased my run to about 2 miles which takes about 20 mins so i'm not pushing at all, but a couple of days ago for some reason both my knees started hurting on the inside (behind) i hardly increased at all on the run before, maybe 200mts extra. it seems to hurt a lot when trying to walk downstairs (have to put weight on the banisters) or if i have been sitting for a while or if i try to fully straighten my legs?? Do you think i have just strained them or something more?!?

i have been running 3 or 4 times a week plus a couple of days on the bike & rest day or 2. do you think i will be ok to continue running or should i just try cutting down my milage a bit? Could anyone point me to somewhere where theres a plan, idealy i'd like to run up 10 miles, how long would it take to build up to this for the average person?

Thanks for your help, Ian

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
during you last run that was ok, what were the conditions like underfoot?

my gut feeling its a tweak/ twist and i would be surprised if the increase in distance was too sudden, although its not impossible.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
also.. what shoes are you wearing?

at least running off road you wont need to worry as much about gait/ pronation but if your wearing road shoes off road that can cause problems

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i'm running on grass for about 70% & then a gravel track for the rest, but what i have added on the last runs is more gravel because it was getting a bit soggy on the grass. as for footwear well i'm just using a pair of trainers not even sure if there ment for running but its all i have & i can't afford new ones at the moment. is there differnet types of shoes people use for different surfaces? i will probably be changing my route as of next week, or atleast when winter sets in, i will leave the soggy stuff behind & start on the paths around my village, is there a special type of footwear i should be looking out for? thanks again

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
yes there are different types of shoe for road, trail,fell etc that offer different levels of support/ cusioninng.

trail/ fell shoes tend to be lower with less support than road shoes as the ground is un-even and can cause less impact.

road shoes are broken into a stuctured, neutral and support. as to which shoe you would require depends on how you run, and the only way to tell this is by getting your self to a running shop and getting your gait checked.

with propper running shoes starting from £30 i would strongly reccomend that you put some funds aside, bite the bullet and get some sorted asap

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so i have obviously totally underestimated how much there is to learn about running and shoe types, so what ur saying is i'm gonna need a differnt pair of runners for on road & another pair for grass/gravel? dam & i thought this was going to be a cheap hobbie compared to cycling it appears i was wrong again! now all i need to do is get a job & get some money together, find a local decent shop, get checked out & spend some cash.

thanks

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
no nessasarily different.. it depends on how your feet move about when you land.. which leads to which trainers are best for your feet... there are some models that are suited to both (although i would be surprised if they excelled in either) however if its the wrong type of shoe then it can lead to injuries

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I would focus primarily on making sure you get the right kind of support/cushioning.

From there you can decide what terrain you will mostly be running on - different trainers for different terrain would be ideal but certainly not a necessity ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts