Runners Forum banner

Plymouth Hoe 10

4K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  twinkle toes 
#1 · (Edited)
I did it in 1 hrs 54 so broke the target 2 hr barrier and managed to maintain a 11 min/mile pace.Last two miles were the hardest but managed to muster enough energy for a sort of sprint finish. Got a big blister on my right heel probably because I put shock absorbing insoles under my orthotics so my ankle kept slipping about - silly girl.

#8 ·
Well I wasn't one of the quickest definitely at the back BUT I ran it quicker than I thought I would and I wasn't the slowest. I suppose one of the great 'things' about running is you can compete against yourself - setting targets, beating PBs.

I really enjoyed yesterdays race in a masochistic sort of way and it really helped having the encouragement of my club mates as I crossed the finish line. I'm thinking of doing another 10 miler next month but a slightly flatter course.

Karen - enter a race you'll really enjoy it and the sense of achievement is amazing.

#14 ·
Steady Edwina said:
Karen - enter a race you'll really enjoy it and the sense of achievement is amazing.
I have!! Aargh. It's this coming Sunday - the Goring 10K - it's not a flat course either. I sooo wish I was faster, but I'm not yet. I think I'm looking at a time of 1h10mins to 1h15mins. I can't explain why I'm so slow, since I've trained often enough in the last 7 months (since I started running). I guess for some of us, achieving fitness is a VERY hard-won thing. I'm on the way, but I'm not there yet.

Meanwhile, I have this 10K on Sunday. Oops.

#15 ·
Just go out and enjoy it all Karen.

From the nerves at the start,all the way to the tired legs and sense of achievment at the finish.

believe me you will have a huge grin on your face at the end,so make sure you have somebody with a camera to capture it.

Good Luck........Dave.

#16 ·
Karen,
Thats brilliant just go and enjoy it I bet you won't be the last. Run your own race Karen don't let others or what you think others are thinking dictate your pace.

I've really slowed down since christmas and Idon't know why either.

#17 ·
had a look at results for Kingsteignton last year slowest was 2.02 i don't think i'll enter this one! was looking for something else to enter before Plymouth half maybe a 10k would be better ( i have a 5k in March )

good luck Karen i'm sure you'll do well. Then there will be no stopping you.

I am also slow around 13 min mile on a good day. how do you get faster does it just happen with time?

#18 ·
Thanks Dave, SE and FirstTimer,
Yes, I guess I just hope to be thick-skinned enough to not worry about what other people will think of me. No camera photos for me though, as no immediate family support is available at the moment. My husband is away in the US, so I'm on my own.

FirstTimer, I'm the wrong person to ask about how one gets to be faster. I tried improving speed November/December last year. And then realised that I was pushing my body too hard. That's when I first started to develop a small injury, and I suddenly also found that I was getting slower rather than faster. My body was simply too tired from the previous session. So I decided to not worry about speed, but rather concentrate on building up distance instead. My current target is that I must be able to run 8 miles before I again attempt to improve my speed. and when I get to that stage, I'm going to try fartlekking on lampposts (that is alternating my speed between lampposts). That seems to be the simplest approach. And since lampposts aren't that far apart, I think I should be able to achieve that.

And, if you listen to the advice of all the more experienced runners on this forum, they advise joining a running club, as that apparently tends to push you to run faster simply to keep up with other the club members.

Anyway, good luck with all your running too. There was such a sudden spate of new forum members from Plymouth joining our SE that it has been interesting to compare all your notes and follow your progress.

#19 ·
Good luck Karen, run at your own pace, ignore any people that whizz past you at the start, whatever your time it will be a PB! I may be running in the Winchester 10k this Sunday, but have had bad sciatica and can only take short strides, and it is a 'naff' route!

Good Luck!:)

#20 ·
Karen - the reason there has been an increase in Plymouth members is because of the Brooks Sunday Runs. Dotty one of the coaches sent round an email promoting the site.

Firsttimer - I looked at the times for last years Teingbridge 10 and I thought the slowest was 2:16 (did you flick onto the last page). As Karen said don't get too obsessed with speed this early in your running career its just as important to build your endurance especially as you are running the Plymouth half at the end of May. With regards to a suitable 10K I think there is one in Ivybridge on 12 May - its an evening race.

I've also discovered there is another running club in Plymouth they meet up at Marjons on a Tuesday evening and Sunday morning www.instinctivesports.org.uk

#21 ·
Karen said:
I have!! Aargh. It's this coming Sunday - the Goring 10K - it's not a flat course either. I sooo wish I was faster, but I'm not yet. I think I'm looking at a time of 1h10mins to 1h15mins. I can't explain why I'm so slow, since I've trained often enough in the last 7 months (since I started running). I guess for some of us, achieving fitness is a VERY hard-won thing. I'm on the way, but I'm not there yet.

Meanwhile, I have this 10K on Sunday. Oops.

Well done Karen and best of luck :d

#22 ·
Karen said:
Thanks Dave, SE and FirstTimer,
Yes, I guess I just hope to be thick-skinned enough to not worry about what other people will think of me. No camera photos for me though, as no immediate family support is available at the moment. My husband is away in the US, so I'm on my own.

FirstTimer, I'm the wrong person to ask about how one gets to be faster. I tried improving speed November/December last year. And then realised that I was pushing my body too hard. That's when I first started to develop a small injury, and I suddenly also found that I was getting slower rather than faster. My body was simply too tired from the previous session. So I decided to not worry about speed, but rather concentrate on building up distance instead. My current target is that I must be able to run 8 miles before I again attempt to improve my speed. and when I get to that stage, I'm going to try fartlekking on lampposts (that is alternating my speed between lampposts). That seems to be the simplest approach. And since lampposts aren't that far apart, I think I should be able to achieve that.

And, if you listen to the advice of all the more experienced runners on this forum, they advise joining a running club, as that apparently tends to push you to run faster simply to keep up with other the club members.

Anyway, good luck with all your running too. There was such a sudden spate of new forum members from Plymouth joining our SE that it has been interesting to compare all your notes and follow your progress.
It's a shame you'll be on your own but that may work to your advantage as you won't have any outside worries to be concerned about and you'll be able to concentrate on your race plans. Just enjoy it and all the best.

With reference to getting quicker I think you are right to build up mileage first. That in itself will result in you picking up speed as you'll get stronger and with time be able to do those 8 miles in no time at all!

Joining a club isn't just about getting quicker..though that does tend to happen for the reason you state. Running with others keeps you motivated and maintains your enjoyment of the sport.

:)

#24 ·
firsttimer said:
I am also slow around 13 min mile on a good day. how do you get faster does it just happen with time?
As suggested, joining a club does help with your speed as you'll be training in a group which helps push your pace.

To get faster I would suggest doing two speed sessions a week based around your regular training. You need to get your legs working at a faster pace that they're used to - short reps are good for this.

#25 ·
jothesnail said:
Hi

There is a 10K race on 18th March at Plympton, can't remember the name of it though!!!! - I found it by putting a search into Google!!!

I haven't entered any races yet, but think I will before the Plymouth 1/2 just to gain a bit of experience of being in a race.

Jo
You are right Jo its the mad march hare 10k organised by the round table. It starts in Valley Road then you have to run up Cot Hill - the forms are available at www.tamartrotters.co.uk. There is also a 5k at Saltram on the same day.

#26 ·
Thanks to everyone for the advice.
I have entered the 5k saltram run on the 18th and only after this saw the 10k which would have been more of a challenge but at the 5k you can go round as many times as you like so i will just have to go round twice!!
SE thanks for the club at Marjons that would be perfect for me as i live in Mainstone, so i have sent them an email and fingers crossed i will fit in there.
When i did the Brooks run i found it easier running with others i just have to be brave and join.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.