Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy running and try to do it as often as i can but there is a few things i need some advice on:
  • how long do i run for?
  • What do i need to eat before and after running?
  • how long before running should i eat?
  • Where is the most important part of your body to stretch?
  • how do i know if i start off too quick?
  • What is the best time to run at?( i have been told in the morning or at night)
  • What time should i be aiming for?
i know this is a lot of stupid questions but any advice would be helpfull as i am just starting off and i really enjoy it and want to be good at it! :)

-charlotte 3

thanx

·
Registered
8 Posts
The problem with answering these questions is the lack of information about you. Age, fitness etc and even then it might take a book to answer in sufficient depth, but I'll start things off.

how long do i run for? As long as you can isn't an unreasonable answer, but you might be better with run/walk ie run a minute walk for 2 after a week or 2 you might run for 2 and walk for 1. Gradually building up until you can run at a speed that means you can still hold a conversation.

What do i need to eat before and after running? Depends when you run. If I run at 6am, nothing, 8am coffee, 10 am porridge (at 8 am). Something light an hour or 2 before you run.
how long before running should i eat? as above

Where is the most important part of your body to stretch? Don't really know enough; I do calves, quads and hamstrings after a run.

how do i know if i start off too quick? You won't be able to talk.

What is the best time to run at?( i have been told in the morning or at night). Personal choice. Morning or night at the moment while it's hot. In winter I run between 12 and 4pm while its light.

What time should i be aiming for? Depends on you, whatever time you do while being able to talk is what you should aim for.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Justa couple ofpoints to add to the above excellent advice:
Statistically running first thing in the morning is supposed to be safer but does depend on where you live
I'd also include a stretch for your hips/ITB
Make sure you have the right shoes
When I first started out I followed a run/walk programme and gradually built up to running 30 mins continously. I wouldn't advise running more than 3 times a week when you first start out and make sure you rest between runs. You can cross train but don't over do the running otherwise you'll injur yourself.

Good Luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi charlotte, you are already on your way to being a seasoned runner and thats because you enjoy it; as long as you maintain that enjoyment you will continue,so listen to your body,dont stick rigidly to a program,vary your routes,avoid overtraining(your morning pulse rate is a good indicator),keep hydrated(water is best) and you will naturally go longer(and less important faster)

good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
DAVIDPHYS said:
avoid overtraining(your morning pulse rate is a good indicator),
David, I'm quite new to running, could you tell me how your pulse is an indicator to over-training?

thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts