Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm returning to running after a layoff of 1yr due to being diagnosed with MS. I've decided to start off slowly following all the tips ive read. I've got a polar HRM and have started to use this - my query is im only doing 20 min runs every other day to get used to running again but my heart rate seems to jump up at times from say about 160 bpm to 210-220 for a few sec's then back down again. Is this a faylt with the watch or has anyone else experienced it. Also any advice is appreciated for getting back to fitness again.

Thanks
Paul:d

·
Registered
2 Posts
Polar Watch

Hey,

I did hear about this problem before with my friend who is a cyclist, the problem with his was pylons. The electric current affected the reading. Maybe you are running under them?

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Only very slightly - should i soak them 1st?
i dont think that soak is the correct term.. more dampen :) but if u sweat when running then that should do the trick

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Mine does that, whenever it's got a poor connection (electrode to body). At first I was a little worried, as I thought I was actually doing 220bpm and I thought my heart was going to burst or something!

I'd just make sure that the electrodes are damp and that the chest strap doesn't move about too much.

This is one of the reasons that I wear a tight top under my t-shirt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts