Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this morning I did a 5km run tracked on my Polar Flow M400 watch which automatically uploads to Strava and the timings were as follows:
Polar Flow - 19m 33s
Strava - 18m 55s
38s is quite a discrepancy on that distance and time. Has anyone has similar? Any idea why and how to fix? I appreciate they are not an exact science but a 3% discrepancy is rather large.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Was there any stopping involved? Was the activity listed as a run or a race in Strava?

I've never seen such a big difference unless there was a stop involved at some point.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
On the app you cant see this but on the web page view it shows 2 times, moving time and elapsed time.

what it will show depends on what the activity is set as, ie race,workout, etc.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
On the app you cant see this but on the web page view it shows 2 times, moving time and elapsed time.

Yeah that's what I was getting at, when I run on trails there are a few stiles and gates as well as a road crossing and all of those combined can add as much as 2 minutes to my time which is why I get two different times on my trail runs.

If you log an activity as a race though, the elapsed time is the time that's published to Strava but any other activity just shows moving time.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was there any stopping involved? Was the activity listed as a run or a race in Strava?

I've never seen such a big difference unless there was a stop involved at some point.
I did stop for a minute or so to do some stretching, but paused the watch so perhaps that is the reason. The difference could be between time in total and actual moving time.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

How do you set it to race/workout?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Open the Strava app, click on your activity, click the top right elipsis and select edit activity, select race, workout, etc from the second drop down.

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Garmin has a similar calculation difference, moving time vs. elapsed so it's not a device issue.

The only time elapsed vs. moving isn't calculated is when moving through a segment. If you stop during a segment, the time still accrues

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Elapsed time appears to be a couple of mins more than recorded time so I’m not sure what has gone on. I will test it tomorrow at parkrun where I’ll record it on my watch and also the stopwatch on my phone - that’ll give me 3 times (strava, Polar flow and stopwatch) and I’ll just take an average! Oh actually, 4 times because parkrun will give me one as well!

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Elapsed time appears to be a couple of mins more than recorded time so I’m not sure what has gone on. I will test it tomorrow at parkrun where I’ll record it on my watch and also the stopwatch on my phone - that’ll give me 3 times (strava, Polar flow and stopwatch) and I’ll just take an average! Oh actually, 4 times because parkrun will give me one as well!
Maybe go back to the old school of a stopwatch, pen and notepad!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts