Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run this race before (any of the distances)?

http://www.ultrasico.com/index.php

I am thinking of doing the 25 km next year and just trying to find some more info on the trail conditions and what the event is like. Seems to have good reviews but nearly all the info is in Portugese and I'm wondering if I would struggle at the event if I don't speak Portugese?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I ran the 25km this year.
You don't have to speak Portuguese to run it.
What exactly would you like to know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mostly trying to find out what the trail is like, from what I can find it looks quite mixed, some dirt trails, some rocky sections, some road, how much of the race is on roads? And is the organisation on the day pretty good?

Also, what was the weather like when you ran it? Not sure how cold it will be at that time of year?

It looks like a fun race!

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
This year it was a bit crazy with the weather (but this is unusual). The runners who did the 111km were caught in a (short) snow storm. Almost half the field quit.
I started a day and a half later and I ran in shorts and t-shirt, and wore my gloves for less than 15 minutes.
It was sunny and not that cold.
There are some extremely technical descents, some with lots of rocks but no extreme uphills except for some almost vertical sections (I am talking climbing here, not running) close to the finish.
Most of it is run on dirt trails. If it rains (or snows as was the case) there will be some very, very slippery areas by the river. I am not exaggerating this - dangerous sections. Gotta be careful there.
It is a very fun race and the atmosphere among runners is amazing! I definitely recommend it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a good challenge! Thanks for the info on the trail conditions, definitely going to invest in some new trail shoes!

Now I just need to find some more hills for training, think I'll be doing lots of repeats on small ones for now..............

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry! One more question about the race :)

Did you take a pack or are there enough water stations along the way / could you get away with a handheld bottle? I have tried translating the race rules but still not clear on what gear is compulsory for each distance.

Thank you!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
No problem. :)

Unless it is very hot (possible but unlikely at that time of year), the water stations are more than enough. But they don't give you bottles/cups to prevent littering. For the 25km I too a small, very light aluminium mug on a belt and took a few seconds at each station to drink some water.
At the stations they have big bottles and you can have as much water as you want. If you take your own bottle you can drink at the station and refill it to take it with you.

Have you picked your distance? I am happy to translate the relevant bits for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have registered for the 25 km, I was hoping to get away with carrying a small handheld bottle that I could refill at the stations, sounds like that might be ok! The regulations list the following as 'required gear' for the 50 km / 25 km / 15 km - a cup (copo) and 'TLM carregado' - what does this mean?

I think gloves, hat, long sleeve top and food are only required if the weather is bad, so maybe I'll bring a bag just in case I need to carry those too!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
I have registered for the 25 km, I was hoping to get away with carrying a small handheld bottle that I could refill at the stations, sounds like that might be ok! The regulations list the following as 'required gear' for the 50 km / 25 km / 15 km - a cup (copo) and 'TLM carregado' - what does this mean?

I think gloves, hat, long sleeve top and food are only required if the weather is bad, so maybe I'll bring a bag just in case I need to carry those too!

Thanks again!
I wouldn't carry a handheld bottle because in some places towards the end you will need both hands to climb. If you can carry the bottle or mug (yes, "copo" means cup/mug/glass) in a belt or vest that will leave your hands free.

"TLM carregado" means fully charged mobile phone, in case you need to call for assistance. The course is very, very well marked and I still managed to miss it twice, once because I was focusing on the ground conditions and the other when the wind blew a sign post, pointing the arrow in the wrong direction where there happened to be a path! :lol:
It's difficult to get lost but it's possible, especially in adverse weather conditions - hence the "need" for a mobile phone to be carried.

Yes, the other things you mentioned are only required in extreme weather conditions.

In terms of accommodation, don't worry too much about it. I got a single, en suite room for €25 and I booked the morning before.
Let me know if you need any help with this or any other matters.

I doubt I will run it again but I consider volunteering so I might see you there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts