Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I did my first half in December that just as I was nearing the end I got quite a sharp pain in the side of my left knee. I haven't run any such distance since. Not because of that pain but just circumstance.
I've recently joined my wife on her long runs as she is training for the FLM. I'm there for support and to carry her liquid (who says chivalry is dead). At mile 12 - 13 I got the same shooting pain in my left knee again which caused me to stop momentarily.
Can any of you good people offer any explanation and advice as to what I should or shouldn't do. I'd hate not to be able to run further than 12 miles especially with her training miles increasing and also for my own distance running.

Kind regards

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Could be runner's knee; that tends to kick in after that kind of distance, and has similar symptoms I think.

Whatever it is, your two best options are probably either
a) take a week or two off, then work up GRADUALLY to about the mileage you were doing before, or,
b) see a physio :p

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Are you doing any stretches for your ITB - this is the big tendon along your thigh that links the hip to the knee also how old are your shoes?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Edwina, I haven't been doing any specific exercises for my ITB. I looked on the internet the other night and came across a website called knee guru or something like that and discovered some decent stretches.
To be honest I didn't realise that stretching was such a rigorous affair:embarrassed: . I do calf and glutes after my runs, particularly my calf stretches and that's as far as it goes but I will do the ITB from now on.

As for my shoes I bought them back in July last year and probably run about 20 miles a week.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hooray. I did a 16 miler on Sunday and my knee was fine and still is today. I don't know how or why but I'm grateful and smiling. :)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
great news one eye.

M Inc.jpg sorry coudn't resist it maybe you should have it as your avatar?

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
one eyed runner said:
Nice one twinkle toes I think I might be having that fine representation of my self:d

I am glad I could be of assistance :d

1 - 12 of 12 Posts