Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's now 13 months since the start of this injury and since the London marathon this year I have got closer than ever to completely losing hope and facing my worst fear of giving up running.

Initially it was a case of the usual 'post marathon blues' but over the last week I have hit another rock bottom...but mostly hid it from you guys on here, because I think I've winged enough on here and I'm sure it gets quite tedious.

Anyway for a while now I have suspected that the problem in my leg is nerve related and late last night I started pouring over my Anatomy and Physiology books. I discovered that there is one nerve that fits my symptoms... the Common Peroneal Nerve, which, as I further discovered while googling, is quite susceptable to damage, and if it is damaged, can cause quite a few problems.

As luck would have it...or is it serendipity... I had a client today who has had a lot of problems with her sciatic nerve in the past, which went on for years...until through private health care she found an excellent neuro surgeon who fixed it for her.

She stayed in contact with the surgeon for a number of years and has offered to contact him on my behalf.

So from reaching one of my lowest points I am beginning to feel hopeful again...

It's quite a rollercoaster this injury business isn't it :confused:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Trinity said:
but mostly hid it from you guys on here, because I think I've winged enough on here and I'm sure it gets quite tedious.:
Never worry about whinging to us Trinity.It`s what we`re here for.

I`m sure I speak for everyone when I say that I hope you could be close to finding a solution to your injury problems.

All the best. Dave

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Agree with Dave completely, you deserve a 'fix' for persaverence alone!

Hope you get it sorted ASAP.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Fingers crossed for you Trinity, did your client say how long it took them to become injury free?

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Granty... is it perseverance, or just plain stubborness :rolleyes:

twinkle toes said:
Fingers crossed for you Trinity, did your client say how long it took them to become injury free?
She's an elderly lady but used to be an aerobics teacher so she has always been very active. She's had two hip replacements quite a while ago...in fact one of them is due for a review.

But when she had the sciatic problem about 3 years ago she couldn't even walk very far so like me, became very frustrated. The surgery was a complete success and because she'd always been so fit she recovered fairly quickly.

She now goes for long walks and uses an exercise bike at home... she's in her 70's!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Crikey she is a fit bird :d Well it does look promising :) you will have to keep us up to date with it all.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Time for an update...

I discovered that the private neuro surgeon that helped my client only works on nerves in the back, not elsewhere in the body. But his secretary put me onto someone else...who turned out to be orthopaedic, and so only worked on bones and joints.

However... his secretary gave me yet another contact of a private neuro surgeon who may be able to help with the nerve problem in my leg. So I phoned the secretary of this person and had quite an indepth discussion about my problem, concluding with an appointment being made for the 11th June. All I had to do now was get the formal referral from my GP.

I phoned my GP the next day, who wanted to see me to make the referral more 'official'.

I attend my appointment with my GP and he examines my leg and we go through the history of the injury once again (I've lost count of how many times I've gone through the story of how it all happened!).

My GP then says that he thinks referring me privately to neuro would be a mistake and decides instead that I need to go to the Sports Injury Clinic, also in the private sector.

We argue briefly and I then I reluctantly go along with his decision...leaving the surgery somewhat confused, because I am, or rather my insurance is, paying for this so why can't I go with my instincts rather than let the NHS GP decide what's right :confused:

I then speak to my insurance company and the very helpful person on the phone says that if I go to the sports injury clinic and am still not happy, then I can ask the consultant there to refer me to the neuro surgeon and bypass my GP altogether.

So, I have an appointment with the sports injury clinic on 4th June

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hope springs eternal!

The consultant I saw at the private sports and injury clinic thinks he may have an idea of what the injury could be due to!

He took a history of the problem, looked at my MRI scan films that I had taken a year ago (!) and examined my leg, twisted it this way and that, all the time saying "This shouldn't hurt"...and it didn't, thankfully!

He has a suspicion that I may have something called a 'Ganglion' (sp?) cyst, which could have attached itself to the tissues in the area where I feel the pain, possibly even attached to the nerve itself.

Anyway, lots of what he said made lots of sense...more so than I've heard from many other 'experts'.

He wants me to have a much more comprehensive MRI plus an xray, but he wants me to run until the pain comes on immediately prior to the MRI, which is booked for Friday.

Best news is, that if it is what he suspects, then he can cure it :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
erm... can we wait and see if my consultant can fix it first :confused:

And now I have to go out and run until my leg hurts, because I've got my MRI later this afternoon

I may be some time........

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It only took 7 miles so like a true runner I did 7.5 ....just to be sure ;)

Went for my Xray and then my MRI...during which I had to have an injection of something magnetic!

I'm now unexplicably drawn to the North :confused:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts