Runners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am going to be doing my first half marathon in October, and have been thinking about entering a 15.7 mile race 4 weeks after the half.

I'm wondering if this is do-able, or should I be taking it easy after the half to recover?

To give you an idea of my fitness... I'd consider myself an 'advanced beginner' and have built up a good base over the last few months. However due to recent ankle pain I am having to take time off before I start my half marathin training and take it easy once I start. With the plan I'm following, the longest run I'll do before the half is 10 miles.

Maybe it will just be too much, but if not what training do you think I should be doing inbetween the two races?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
4 weeks should be fine between the two events - though I wouldn't expect to get too much hard training done inbetween.

After the half I'd recommend taking it easy for a week to allow the body to recover; this could be anything from total rest to 5/6 short easy runs - though there are some people who are seemingly able to jump straight back into their normal schedule with no ill effects.

after a week you should be able to return back to normal training for up to two weeks before tapering for the 15mile event. When I considered myself an advanced beginner I tried 2 half marathons 2 weeks apart and found the second very hard, though I'm pretty confident 4 weeks is more than enough time ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I agree with Richard, I too think it is do able.

I did 2 half's a week apart and pb'd on the second, although if I had had more time may have done better.

You will have more than enough miles in your legs to cope with it.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

TT

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
show off TT :p lol.. I tihnk in my case I'd PB'd on the first and felt great throughout the race so was determined to run hard from the start in the second and blew up from about 4miles :(

It really shouldn't be a problem for you star ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I would blow up too on just one race at your pace RS let alone 2 :d

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

I'm really looking forward to my first events (there is a 20 mile race in March that I have my eye on if all goes well).

TBH as I'll have done my first half 4 weeks earlier, I won't be too hoping for *too* much from the second race. Well, maybe not anyway...

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
It'll go one of two ways I reckon... If you can set off just to enjoy and complete the second event all will be well, alternatively you may be so inspired by your half mara 4 weeks beforehand that you push harder than you ever have before, which I guess could either mean a great time or a whole lotta pain ;)

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
let us know how you get on in both races best of luck :d

1 - 8 of 8 Posts