Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:s
I am registered to run the Bristol Half marathon on Sept 24th.
I have done Aquathon/Triathlons before with 5k runs but this is my first long distance race and I have been following a 14 week programme which slowly built up training volume based around 3 runs ( 1 long run at the weekends) and 2 cross training days a week. I had built up to a long run of 9miles ( total weekly milage of 18miles) before going on a windsurfing holiday at the end of July. Unfortunately I damaged my big toe on my left foot - badly bruised in a windsurfing accident and was unable to run for 2.5weeks. I have started back slowly done a 3, 4 and 4.5mile run so far. Legs seem OK but I have lost alot of condition. My conundrum is how to train for the remaining 4 weeks? I obviously need to build my distance back up but will need to taper as well!? It it possible to get back into condition to do the half marathon - if so what is the best training plan?- or should I pull out?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I would consider not tapering at all but continue to build up and use the half marathon as a training run for another event.

You probably haven't lost to much aerobic condition in the 2 1/2 weeks you had off though.

As it was just over 2 weeks off I'd consider just getting straight back in to the 9 mile runs now.

pick up where you left it maybe?

I wouldn't be to harsh on myself whatever the result if I did take part.

That's just me though, I'm not an expert!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
You'll probably be able to get round the half marathon, but I'd write off any original target times you may have set yourself... if you achieve them they great! But don;t be dissapointed if you fall short of them. My advice would be to just use this as a training run in itself - a nice long slow run, then once you've regained fitness you can run another for time ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't pull out! Try and pick up where you finished at 9 miles and as per the advice already given, treat the 1/2 as another training run and enjoy yourself. I normally do Bristol each year but work has got in the way this year (how inconsiderate of my employers!!). Good luck for the 24th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts