Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's probably a case of personal preference but what is the ideal fluid intake after a run?

I usually have a whey protein shake as Osanago (the other half) recommends it, but at the moment I am having Powerade orange drinks as they are selling big boxes of them half price at the supermarket!

This is probably another question that has been asked a thousand times before. If so please forgive my newbie status.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I just drink water after a run. Don't go in for these fancy drinks. I'm sure our hunter gather caveman friends did fine without protein shakes after a day of killing big animals ;)

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
just stick with water...

i have a 2 litre bottle of lemonade always in the fridge so it's cold when i come back after run...

you'd only need to replace electrolytes after a very long distance race such as a marathon so dont bother with fancy drinks...

protein shakes are for weightlifters not runners - so dont know why someone would recommend that...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do lots of water too, I drink lots of water as a rule anyway.

Whey Protein helps rebuild muscles so can be good for runners, although won't re-hydrate you of course!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
A nice cup of tea, made with tea leaves not tea bags, in a proper tea pot and poured through a strainer.:d

Remember always put the milk in the cup/mug first for tea and the other way around for coffee:)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I do lots of water too, I drink lots of water as a rule anyway.

Whey Protein helps rebuild muscles so can be good for runners, although won't re-hydrate you of course!
I'd suggest getting in some carbs as well after your run, a banana for example would be good with your shake.

I normall just have water after my weeknight runs, and water and Lucozade Sport after my long Sunday runs. I don't bother with too many supplements after my runs, as I go straight home to eat some real food.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If its only short runs a couple of times per week then the whey probably isnt needed unless your diet is lacking in real food protein for whatver reason.

How far/much do you recon you need to be running before looking to replace electrolytes Revenged? This is something im really not sure on. If i have a right sweaty exercise session i add a good helping of sea salt to my dinner after training.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd suggest getting in some carbs as well after your run, a banana for example would be good with your shake.

I normall just have water after my weeknight runs, and water and Lucozade Sport after my long Sunday runs. I don't bother with too many supplements after my runs, as I go straight home to eat some real food.
My wife is veggie, which basically makes me veggie at home. As a result i'd say my diet is fairly carb heavy and protein light. I try to eat bananas at work during the day before a run, as she deplores them and can't have them in the house! Normally it'd be my shake followed by a couple of pints of water over the evening.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
it is not even necessary to replace electrolytes in an marathon - only in an extreme exercise conditions such as a ultramarathon is it necessary...

from wikipaedia

"It is unnecessary to replace losses of sodium, potassium and other electrolytes during exercise since it is unlikely that a significant depletion of the body's stores of these minerals will occur during normal training. However, in extreme exercising conditions over 5 or 6 hours (an Ironman or ultramarathon, for example) the consumption of a complex sports drink with electrolytes is recommended. Athletes who do not consume electrolytes under these conditions risk overhydration (or hyponatremia). [1]"

Electrolyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Looks like Haile Gabreselassie is wasting his time with Powerbar drinks then? And why would they offer sports drinks on the way round marathon courses?

I wouldn't trust everything in Wikipedia.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
The cynic in me suggests that they offer sports drinks during races because the drinks companies pay huge sponsorship fees to give the product away. Such product placement is hugely valuble.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These drinks are high in carbs in a form that can be very quickly absorbed.

Would that be better than water on a marathon? I wouldn't know as I haven't run that distance yet.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
The cynic in me suggests that they offer sports drinks during races because the drinks companies pay huge sponsorship fees to give the product away. Such product placement is hugely valuble.
I totally agree with you on that one, HRun, the sponsorship fees would be huge in the bigger races.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
"I'm no expert but...."

I think is it generally considered glycogen stores have enough fuel to keep you going around an hour and a half... longer than this and you should be have a source of fuel to keep you going - Sports drinks etc are great for this as they offer carbs and hydration. yes the marketing aspect of having sports drinks would be pretty major at large events, though I'm personally yet to come across a 10k with sports drinks at the water stations?

As for electrolytes... no idea on what the body needs, though it's not exactly a hardship to replace them - and I too would be little sceptical of wikipedia :s

Regarding post race drinks, protein/carb drinks following a hard session are pretty good in my opinion - the sooner you can consume food/drink after exercise the better (ideally the first 15-30mins I remember reading, certainly within an hour), and unless you have a loving partner with a meal waiting for you, I can't see a quicker way to get carbs/protein on board?

Personally I'll just have 0.5pint orange juice (not from concentrate) mixed with 0.5pint water... if I need any further hydration I'll just have water. I'll then aim to eat within the hour.

Of course it probably doesn't make a HUGE difference to your performance as a runner, but every little bit helps - I'm sure if you gave up each little thing that helped just that little bit, then it'd add up to quite a chunk!

·
Banned
5,585 Posts
Two good and cheap post excersise drink I've heard of are chocolate milk and pure apple juice diluted down with mineral water. Mineral water is used instead of tap water due to it's higher mineral content.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My protein shake is chocolate flavoured. You would never know it's not chocolate milkshake. Which, now that I think about it, I suppose it is really.

My head hurts :push:

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The other morning after a swim I tried a protein shake as I had a busy day in front of me. It was really nice and seemed to stave of any hunger pangs till mid afternoon. Will deffo have one again:d

1 - 20 of 59 Posts