6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current 1 mile PB is 6.25

and I know I can beat it :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Never tried it. I take it you mean from a standing start? Otherwise I am sure I could find a downhill section on my splits :)
from a standing start... no cheatin ;)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I ran a 5.32 mile from a standing start the first night I got my Garmin. But that was part of a 2 mile time trial (which I completed in 11.37). I think I could go a bit faster on an all out single mile, but not sure how much faster. I will give it a go later in the week.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
About 24 minutes but that's swimming:d

Don't know about running. I know that 1 lap of the road around the park i run in is 1 mile, give or take a few inches. next time i'm running in the park (i am on hols from tomorrow for a week so it won't be for a few days) i will go against my usual zen attitude to running, I don't do distance or time taken just run around until tired and then head home:), and time myself.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Well, I've just back from an all out 1 mile attempt, and wasn't happy with my result :(

I did it in 5:36. I thought it was a lot faster but I felt it after the first half mile.

I rested for 5 minutes and ran back. Completed that mile in 5:32, which is exactly the time I recorded on the first mile of a 2 mile run a few weeks ago. Didn't beat my pb :(

I put it down to the 15 miles in my legs over the weekend. Think I can go a lot faster if I do it when my legs feel fresh. I would like to think that I can run it close to 5:00. Anyway, the route had a bit of an incline on the way out and slight decline on the way back. On a track I think I should be able to break 5:00, but on the road it was hard.

It is a lot of fun though :) But I really thought I was faster than this. Can't believe some people are knocking those times off on a 10k. I'm just waiting now for Richard to completely smash my time :)

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There's nothing embarrassing about running a 5:30 mile or a 10 minute mile.If you've given it everything that's as much as you can do.

why look for excuses?
yep... what he said :rolleyes:

·
Registered
277 Posts
There's nothing embarrassing about running a 5:30 mile or a 10 minute mile.If you've given it everything that's as much as you can do.

why look for excuses?
I suppose I'm just infuriated I can't run the same pace any more. I was half decent for a few years at school, but I've been really pushing myself recently, and thought I might be able to match that youthful exuberance.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
I suppose I'm just infuriated I can't run the same pace any more. I was half decent for a few years at school, but I've been really pushing myself recently, and thought I might be able to match that youthful exuberance.

If you train enough, you should be able to run faster at 29 than you could at 13. You have far more endurance and muscle now.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I might give this a go - won't be breaking any records though, although I will get a mile PB for sure!

I regularly do 5k against the clock, so might be fun to do a mile every now and then and will be home quicker :)

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Yeah, being home early is really good :) It was actually nice to go out and do 2 miles all out. I only got 11 minutes of exercise from it, but I was sweating a lot and my heart rate was high, so it actually felt like more of a workout than my 8 mile slow runs. Bizarre!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I'll come back to this thread when I know for sure! The quickest I've run a mile as part of a training session is 6m 03s if I remember rightly. I'm hoping to join a club v soon and I know they do a mile time trial once a month so times to follow! :)

1 - 20 of 663 Posts