Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I've often wondered about these... being an asthma sufferer. But I've heard more negative reports on their benefits than positive ones so I've resisted forking out the £50 or so... so far

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm wary of anything that restricts your breathing as a pose to encouraging it. If you want to be a better, fitter runner, then run more!

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I think the idea of them is to give the diaphragm and other breathing muscles a work out...as you would work out other muscles in the gym for instance.

But I get the feeling from hearing what people have said about them that you have to be really disciplined...just like having a set of weights at home and not using them (of which I am guilty :embarrassed: )

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trinity said:
I think the idea of them is to give the diaphragm and other breathing muscles a work out...as you would work out other muscles in the gym for instance.

But I get the feeling from hearing what people have said about them that you have to be really disciplined...just like having a set of weights at home and not using them (of which I am guilty :embarrassed: )
exactly what I've heard, they only seem to work well if you keep the training up. I'm also an asthma sufferer (peak flow of around 550-600) which is why I'm interested....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trinity said:
mind you, you could probably pick one up on ebay much cheaper. I just don't like the thought of buying a 'used' one :/
eeeeewwwwwww not a pleasant thought!!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm just curious to know whether anyone has actually used one of these yet?

Has anyones views on what they heard about them changed? :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
My other half bought one coz he plays trombone and his breathing is not what it used to be (bit like the rest of him!) But as far as I am aware he hasn't used it (much), they are supposed to be good, but you need to persevere with them, if you are not disciplined in making yourself do things like that, then save your money. Ebay, definately the cheapest....at the right time!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I bought one after I was told during a health test at the gym that I have low lung capacity. This isn't something that has as far as I'm aware, has caused me any problems in a lifetime of playing sport. I have a resting heart rate in the 50s and low blood pressure but I just thought maybe I should try and improve my breathing and looked for something to exercise my lungs. Yes, yes, I know that running and going to the gym do that already.
I do use it on a regular basis but lapse sometimes too. Is it any good? Well I don't know really. I haven't noticed any increase in performance but perhaps if I had my lung capacity checked again?

·
Registered
1 Posts
:) YO peeps, i am at University studying sport science and we have been studying inspiratory muscle trainers like Powerbreathe, incidently one of the senior lecturers is one if the developers of the actual Powerbreathe device itself so we were told exactly how it works. There were many studies carried out on the effect of using one of them and they were all very positive. Improving inspiratory muscle function decreases the work that the rest of the body has to do during exercise, therefore it is possible to improve running ability by improving lung function. You can also "google" it to see the papers etc on it.
I have one myself and have started using it again regularly and i have improved my times quite well. In a lab we done at uni as well, it was no coincidence that i outperformed everyone else in the inspiratory muscle test. (the amount of air i could breathe in, in one single breathe) as i was the only one to own a powerbreathe device.

Hopes this helps

adios

PS - If you go onto powerbreathe.com and go onto "what the experts say" it will explain all there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I bought a powerbreathe a couple of weeks ago. it is deffinately a discipline thing but then so is getting up for a run. I cant say if its working as I've just started training again and use that as well but I though I'd get one as I was failed for army sellection a few years ago for having low lung capacity due to asthma as a child. They're a bit cheaper now I payed £29 from argos and I think tesco was selling them for about the same price.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Sorry to drag up an old thread people... but I thought it better than starting a new one.

Wondering if anyone has tried one? and by trying one I mean using it as intended rather than for a couple of days then sticking it in the draw for all eternity :lol:

I'm interested to see if it can help as after my club race on Sunday, and many other recent events, I've found chest pain has been limiting me later on into races (or so it feels). I can't push as hard as I'd like to because the pain gets less and less tolerable.

After doing some research of my symptoms and that it appears it's down to fatigue of chest muscles and/or ribs. I'm hoping that something like this could help?

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
in all honesty I've no idea... :lol: To be honest I'd just thought, chest pain, breathing related, need to improve muscles associated with breathing... should perhaps look at a powerbreathe.

Whether there's any weight lifting exercises I can do etc to improve matters I don't know, but would love to hear if anyone knows of any :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
i've got and used one for my cycling time trials, i used to use it whilst sitting in the car for a warm up.
i originally bought it after giving up smoking and entering a race and breathing like a dog, i threw the fags and bought one.

i also used it after i had had a bad chest and a bit of a lay off after a cold bug.

they are expensive for what they are but they do open up the airways and it could be that "if you think it's working, then it's working"

now i've got involved in this discussion i might dust it down and try it again myself.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
so did you find yourself less out of breath whilst exercising? or your performance improving? or was it just a case of your breathing felt better immediately after you'd used it?

All the science behind it seems to make a lot of sense to me, but obviously that's the job of marketing any product, making you believe it could help you - once you've parted with your money then they're happy! :lol: Seems that across the net there's varied reviews, some for, a lot against (though usually from people who've not tried the product). Those in favour of the product are mostly people who are unfit, or suffer with asthma during their daily lives. I wish there was somewhere that could tell me genuinely whether this is likely to help oxygen uptake in a regular runner hoping to further improve performance...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts