Runners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing 4 mile runs around my local village - although its a bit of a crap route its very much downhill for the first 2 miles and then up hill for the last 2 miles and it hurts! Seems to be going ok, although I am going to look to do some 10km running, but I think I will have to work up to that! Can you guys suggest any methods of recovery, there are lots of sports drinks and fuel for before, during and after exercise but are any of them any good?

cheers Gavin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sports drinks

hi gavin,it can get confusing with all the claims made for these sports drinks;theoretically(ie research backs it up), the best regime would be: coffee/caffeine drink an hour pre exercise(increases fats in your system so muscle/liver glycogen can be spared); for runs up to an hour or so you are better of sticking to water; post run is the time to start on the sweet drinks as long as they are not too concentrated as that will draw fluid into your gut and also dampen down your thirst mechanism(maybe watered down orange juice,which will help boost your potassium and maintain blood glucose). Hope this is of use but remember we are all different and trial and error in training will show you what is best for you,cheers david

·
Registered
419 Posts
This may not be the most scientifically correct answer... but a lot of peeps have been telling me recently that chocolate milk shake is one of the best things to drink post run.

And I always listen to good advice when it involves extra Frijj :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Dale the Snail said:
what is wrong with water ?
Nothing in terms of hydration, but during running you lose electrolytes, chemicals which maintain the osmotic potential of various physiological functions such as salts (losing salts and gaining water will mean that you dehydrate more easily as your hypothalamus will detect an increase in water concentration, so less ADH is released and less water is reabsorbed so even if you drink some water, it'll pass straight throug you). After running its important to redress this balance and water is not sufficient to bring them back to normal.

Although the OP posted almost a month ago, I may as well give my two cents: lucozade sport and jelly babies, the two best friends for a runner. More information on lucozade products can be obtained from the LSSA and more information about jelly babies can be obtained from Bassett's website :p

EDIT: I'm halfway to getting my socks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts