Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am wondering what are your pre training nutrition tips are and also post training nutrition tips.
I have been suffering with my eating, and I am now beginning to get back on track :).
Could you also tell me what are your typical intake of food is, so I know what the best things for runners to eat.
Thank you :p

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
oooh where to start eh?? there's books and books (and books!) on this topic!!!

Personally I just make sure I've left around 2 hours after eating before I run (unless it was just a banana or something then I'll probs leave it 45mins-1hr.

Afterwards, you want to replenish with food asap, ideally within the first hour. Proteins to help build/maintain muscle - and carbs to replenish glycogen (energy) stores :)

As for a guide on what to eat? A typical healthy diet is great, though runners will typically have a higher intake of carbs to fuel their runs - complex carbs (anything wholewheat/wholegrain, sweet potatoes etc) are preferred as they offer a slower/steadier release of energy which is prefferred to the simple carbs (white bread, white pasta etc...).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oooh where to start eh?? there's books and books (and books!) on this topic!!!

Personally I just make sure I've left around 2 hours after eating before I run (unless it was just a banana or something then I'll probs leave it 45mins-1hr.

Afterwards, you want to replenish with food asap, ideally within the first hour. Proteins to help build/maintain muscle - and carbs to replenish glycogen (energy) stores :)

As for a guide on what to eat? A typical healthy diet is great, though runners will typically have a higher intake of carbs to fuel their runs - complex carbs (anything wholewheat/wholegrain, sweet potatoes etc) are preferred as they offer a slower/steadier release of energy which is prefferred to the simple carbs (white bread, white pasta etc...).
so if you were away from home,would there be a snack you recommend to carry for after training?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
for me a banana, bottle of lucozade sport, and some water would do me fine :) There are certainly things that can aid recovery and improvement... but annoyingly no magical formula that'll knock minutes off our times. lol. Chocolate Milkshake is reported as being a fantastic recovery drink too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts