Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
any tips on eating prior to a 10k, do I need to fuel up! say on pasta the night before then perhaps a breakfast of muesli/toast/porridge (one of them not all ) and does eating a banana about an hour prior to race help ?
any feed back much appreciated.
regards
smithy

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually have a cup of tea and bowl of cereal about 90mins-2hrs before.

I get to the race about half an hour before the start and have a can of Red Bull and a Banana.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Grant said:
I usually have a cup of tea and bowl of cereal about 90mins-2hrs before.

I get to the race about half an hour before the start and have a can of Red Bull and a Banana.
I completely agree i just have a bowl of cereals and a smoothie a couple hours prior and a energy drink half hour before the start! Not sure whether the drink helps or its in the mind but we all have routines i guess! :d

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
as long as you eat something fairly simple on the day of the race you'll be fine... ideally focus on carbs (porridge, weetabix, wholemeal toast with jam, banana), with perhaps a little protein if needs be, but avoid anything heavy and/or fatty. As for the days leading up to the race, a higher carb intake is desirable to ensure you glycogen stores are nicely topped up :) Complex carbs obviously are preferential (Wholegrains etc)

I try to avoid drinking anything in the 1hr leading up to the race or it leave me needing the toilet loads when I should be getting to the start line, and sometimes during the race as well, which is never ideal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts