Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you deal with the pre-race nerves ?

I've got my first coming on Sunday, and the jitters are really starting to kick in already.

I know (hopefully) all my concerns about crashing and burning are in my head and that having got up to 12.2 in 1:55 the weekend before last I should be OK but it still doesn't help the myriad of little demons that are now rampaging around my head.

Things haven't been helped by 2 further factors:
  • a) stupidly mapmyrunning the course only to discover what could be described as the mother of all mountains lies in wait at approx. mile 9 - 11 :'(
  • b) feeling totally shattered all week and last nights final 4 miler being a very heavy legged hard fought affair
Any advice on how to deal with the pre-race nerves would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Just try to tell yourself to enjoy it. If it's your first race, that's the main thing, see it as the fruit of all your hard training runs and just do your best to enjoy it, soak up the atmosphere and try to see the jitters as excitement and anticipation. You know you WILL finish, and you will get a PB :)

Nerves on the day are good, because those nerves are actually adrenaline, and that means extra energy to get you through the race! I've had weeks where I've felt tired and heavy legged, then PB'd at the weekend somehow (prob the adrenaline!)

If the mountain looks hard, there is no shame in walking it - I am sure you won't be alone in walking up the mountain if walking it is what needs to be done - then you can catch up lost time going down the other side :d

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
my top tips..

dont worry about the hill... its just one foot infront of the other..
dont start too fast... better to start slow and speed up as u go along
have a long soak in a hot bath and just relax..
have confidence in your training... belive you are strong and can do it!

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Nerves are unavoidable, and to be honest, anyone who's not nervous isn't going to run as well as they potentially could...

mapmyrun will make a mountain out of a molehill, the elevation profiles on there really aren't realistic in terms of what you'll encounter, so just take it in your stride, if you're that worried about it, just leave a little extra in the tank to get you over to the other side :)

As for feeling completely shattered - it's a bizarre thing that often happens to me... give the legs a nice chance to rest during a taper and they suddenly feel more tired than if I'd carried on training as normal! Have faith in your training though, for my first half I had to abandon my last 7mile run after 3-4miles because I just couldn't manage it, I was terrified - but come race day all was fine!! I now know if I feel a bit heavy legged during a taper it's not really much of a problem.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Everything will be ok come Sunday SR.

You can worry about times in every other race you run in you life.

Start easy,and most importantly.......ENJOY IT !!!!!!

Make it memorable,

Remember,you will never run your first race again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
also dont stress about your time too much..
every single run is different and there may be a 1001 reasons why you perform better/ worse than last time you ran.. as dave says... enjoy it

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nerves are your body's way of getting ready for the race - I would worry more about not having the nerves before a race!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have to say I have no nerves at present and I have entered my first half marathon but then that is 5 weeks away so I would suggest a little early for nerves..I have entered a 10k next Sunday which again at present I have no nerves about...I just see it as a training session and I am not really going their to race as such.. I am going for the experience of a race and to be able to run with other people as currently I train on my own and wouldnt know whether I am good, bad or indifferent.. I think like the rest of the guys are saying just relax and enjoy it know your limitations and I am sure all will come good for you....Good Luck let us know how you get on

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm at a point now where I seem to either feel no major nerves until the morning of the race, or I get VERY nervous the night before, and on the morning of the race i'm only very slightly nervous until lining up on the start line.

I'll always have a dream where something goes wrong in the race two nights before race-day though, missing the start of the race or getting caught up with something halfway round... :lol:

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Despite having run loads of races I still suffer nerves before a race...I'd be worried if I didn't!

I counter nerves by getting to the race venue asap....using the facilities as often as necessary and just mooching around until getting ready for the off.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I'm the complete opposite steve... I've get there as late as possible (whilst still leaving plenty of time for any problems etc) to minimise the time I spend hanging around worrying! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Well I couldn't do that...my main worry is getting there!
Ditto - I like to get there early, using the facilities as often as necessary and just mooching around until getting ready for the off.

(this thread has an echo :lol:)

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
Well I couldn't do that...my main worry is getting there!

Same here, Steve. I like going early to get into the atmosphere of the race and get a warm up in too.

Summer Rain - your training seems to have gone well, based on your post, so remind yourself of that over the next few days. If you're feeling tired, make sure you get enough rest/sleep before the race.

Don't worry about the hill - ease of the pace on the way up and make up lost time on the way down - that way you'll save a bit more energy for the last few miles.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Well SR.

How did it go......??

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Firstly please many apologies for the totally self indulgent nature of this post.

Well that was fun! The Anglesey Half Marathon and my first ever race, now firmly done, dusted and consigned to the history books.

Things started well on the Friday when I got the dreaded annual call ... "the hay's been cut and we're baling tomorrow" ... "WHAAAT!!!, but I've got a Half to run on Sunday" ... "Tough" ... so my meticulously planned pre-race preparation consisted of lugging 400+ bales of hay on to a trailer and then back off the trailer and into the barn. I tried to convince myself it would count as non impact cross-training. :push:

So, after a somewhat sleepless night it was up at 5 and the drive up to Anglesey, after a short detour through a car boot sale cunningly placed half a mile before the actual race arena, I arrived and found registration etc. to be pretty straightforward, although nerves were really kicking in and struggled a bit to pin my number on :'(

Then it was on the bus and out to the start point, where I spent the next 30 minutes trying to look inconspicuous amongst the myriad of seemingly uber fit athletes that had suddenly arrived.

Then with a blast of the horn we were off. Now, reading RunnersWorld the course is described as 'undulating', I think whoever wrote that stopped prematurely in the dictionary and should have read on until they got to 'uphill' !!!! The first 5 miles seemed to be mainly upwards with brief flat sections, before levelling out for a couple of miles of breathtaking scenery (and it certainly lived up to its name as I definately had no breath at that point!).

There then followed a very sharp downwards drop through a small village before levelling out and then facing 'the hill'. Here I have to give an honourable mention to a certain forumite who helped me navigate the hill. Step forward Mr Beasty whose mantra and sagely advice of 'Remember its only one foot in front of the other' was put into good effect with a self conversation something like this :
... "Oh god, I think I'm going to die"
... "No you're not, remember Beasty said its only one foot in front of the other"
... "Well Beasty's not &%[email protected] here running up this mountain is he."
... "Look its not that bad really is it, remember just one foot in front of the other"
... "Aaargh, if I still had a basic connection to my feet then maybe I could"
... "But Beasty said ... "
... "Well Beasty can just go ..... ooh look I'm at the top!! Thanks Beasty! :d"

In fact this inner argument caused so much distraction that I actually overtook a number of other runners on the 2 mile incline :d , so indeed thanks Beasty (and apologies if you felt like someone was practising voodoo on you late Sunday morning!).

Then there was a short downhill section before the final long 2 mile drag up a slight incline to the finish.

Finally crossing the line and completing my first ever half marathon a tired but elated man. I am runner ????

It being my first ever I have nothing to compare it against but I certainly found it to be a tough course and the heat of our indian summer certainly didn't aid the cause, but all in all a very enjoyable experience (although my legs are telling me different this morning :'( ).

Then the final absolutely barking maddest bit of it all .. my time ... 02:02:02 totally, completely, utterly, unbelievable.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
&%[email protected] Brilliant............:d

Great report and a great time.

Well done Bruce.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
WOOOO...glad it helped :happy::happy:

well done and a fantastic time for what sounds like a tuff course

how are you feeling today?