Runners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I saw it all on this mornings run!! I did an 11 miler... and in the 1hr 40 it took me to do it, I had dry, drizzle, very heavy rain, hail and snow... and not just icing... proper huge bits of snow... I had wind... and now I've had my shower and I'm dressed sitting watching the football (should really be doing some work!) it's bloody clear and sunny! Last week it was the other way round - it was beautiful on my run and a ruddy typhoon for the rest of the day! I find it staggering the sheer variety of preciptitation that Sheffield has to offer! Still, it was a bloody fantastic run! The racing sheep had their lambs, and they were all cowering behind trees next to the path... SOoOoO cute! Thankfully in this case I was smart enough to wear my hat and waterproof, and because it was so cold I didn't boil in it!

You'd think mornings like that would put you off runs... but I actually really really loved it -and I didn't even take my MP3 player with me. In fact it seemed not as long without it!:eek:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
I'm sure I saw it all on this mornings run!! I did an 11 miler... and in the 1hr 40 it took me to do it, I had dry, drizzle, very heavy rain, hail and snow... and not just icing... proper huge bits of snow... I had wind...
You'd think mornings like that would put you off runs... but I actually really really loved it -and I didn't even take my MP3 player with me. In fact it seemed not as long without it!:eek:
D'you think someone was trying to tell you something, ANS? Were you not being punished for your "sins"?;)

(Well done for managing without the music though). View attachment 347
:d

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
I'm expecting similar tomorrow....last 5k race I did we had sleet which is darn painful!!

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Oh yes! Once did a cross-country race in Cumbria and we were hit by a hail storm. Grown men reduced to tears! I was hail-marked for about three days afterwards. Ouch!

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
pedestrian said:
Oh yes! Once did a cross-country race in Cumbria and we were hit by a hail storm. Grown men reduced to tears! I was hail-marked for about three days afterwards. Ouch!

Wearing vest and shorts and having a bald head...not good in hail :d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just hope to hell that the weather isn't too bad on the day of the half which is in a couple weeks now *is scared*.

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I love the bad weather for runs, even more so if it's a race! People seem to hate it and I'll quite happily just get on with it, which often plays into my hands. Torrential rain etc just adds variety to the run and as long as you're properly dressed for it, shouldn't cause too many problems :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well yeah, with this run I did just go out and get on with it... and it was probably as enjoyable cuz I was dressed appropriately... looking like a complete numpty with my big wooly hat and all... I can imagine I wouldn't of been so happy if I'd of actually been soaked and cold!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got it right by doing my longer 12 yesterday when it was fair and 5 today in terrible wind, sleet and rain. It was freezing too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was out today and the sleet and wind made it pretty nasty. My ears got the brunt of it like in the winter. Short of wearing big fluffy ear muffs an looking a bit of an idiot don't really know what to wear.

If its not raining i usually love it in the cold though.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
ANS I did a half last year and through my entire time running, it rained, hail and wind it was just awful, but I laughed my way around and got a pb so all wasn't so bad :d

Come on Mother Nature give it to us :eek:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol yeah exactly... when it started with the torrential javelin rain I just laughed to myself, and it was nice and refresshing really - then when it hailed and snowed I laughed even more - but then I was out in the country by this point, and it looked pretty, seeing the city down below in a blankey of white with some trees poking through...

ANYWAY as for burnt ears - HATS!! If I hadn't of worn my hat it would have been awful! Although, by the time I got to mile 10 I could feel that I was damp all the way through, but by this point it didn't really matter... so on I went (even though I had to run past my house and back to make it up to 11 miles at this point!)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
almost_no_specifics said:
... so on I went (even though I had to run past my house and back to make it up to 11 miles at this point!)
That's the sign of an obsessive, if ever I saw one!:p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I must confess i done that, i actually got to my car and it was a little short so i ran to the tree and back several times, some man was watching me, i think he thought i was going to break into my own car because i was hovering :p

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hahahaha, it wasn't an obsessive thing, I had a whole extra mile to do, and even though I knew I could do it - it wasn't about that - I wasn't hating it though, so equally there was no point just stopping there either. In the end also I ran that last mile in like 7 minutes after having done the rest quite slowly - that's one thing I'll say for music - it seems to speed me up. Not that I listen to anything to fast... well... that's a lie, I listen to Drum and Bass/Metal/indie/ambient electronica... but still whatever, it works!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I know, but in this case I couldn't be bothered clearing the entire route on map my run ahahahahah - talk about laziness :d:d

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How else am I meant to know how long my runs are?

(OK my brain is fried, I actually wrote "How else am I meant to know how long my arms are?" originally and noticed just as I was about to hit post... heh)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts