Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had some very complicated last 3 weeks. Seriously bad news concerning two people in my family.
I go to bed and keep turning in it unable to sleep as my thoughts are so occupied by these... bad things...
So I only manage to get to sleep around 4/4.30am no matter how sleepy I feel.
Apart from everything else, I have a marathon on Sunday and I feel I am not getting enough rest (as I don't get up late).
Has this happened to any of you?
How to get over this not taking any pills?
:confused:

·
Registered
335 Posts
you may have already tried this, but have you had a milky drink before bed also listening to relaxing music rather than watching Tv or going on pc, or maybe reading (not something too exciting though. If you dont want to take any prescription meds, how about herbal meds to relax you? good luck with your marathon (and sleep)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Fulmar said:
I have had some very complicated last 3 weeks. Seriously bad news concerning two people in my family.
I go to bed and keep turning in it unable to sleep as my thoughts are so occupied by these... bad things...
So I only manage to get to sleep around 4/4.30am no matter how sleepy I feel.
Apart from everything else, I have a marathon on Sunday and I feel I am not getting enough rest (as I don't get up late).
Has this happened to any of you?
How to get over this not taking any pills?
:confused:
I sometimes have a couple of small Whisky's before retiring when I'm suffering with sleep.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.

PS - All the best for the Marathon matey

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nothing Personal Granty, but it may not be advisable to resort to alcohol. It may temporarily seem like it works but it robs the body of much more. Try eating some turkey for dinner. It contains an amino acid known as L Tryptophan which is essential to human functioning, relaxation, sleepiness etc. It's natural. You may check with your local healtfood store to see if they carry a complex form of it you can supplement you diet with as you move through this tough time. Another option is Nocte' by SIS, it carries the amino acid as well as magnesium which helps with the post long run muscle twitches. Whatever it is...resolve that you don't have to make a decision today, you will be stronger as a result of the trials you go through, life sometimes just throws us a curve ball....hang in there.

·
Registered
16,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all.
I'm leaving to Poland tomorrow to race on Sunday.

See you back here sometime in the next 12 days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts