Runners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Always question, questions and more questions, but here it is !

I have always suffered whilst running the first mile, it's the same if run a 2-3 miler or 6-8 miles. After approx a mile or so things seem to settle down and I enjoy the rest of the distance that I am running but during the first mile I feel 'wooden legged', out of breath etc, almost 'man flu' :eek: symptons.

Is this something other people suffer with, I had assumed as I progressed with my running it would go away, runners blues if you like, but this has not been the case.

·
RunnersForum Founder
620 Posts
This is natural Granty, I always think I'm gonna have a bad race after the first mile cause I feel a bit out of breath and leggy. Once I get in to a rhythm though that soon subsides. Generally I find it takes me at least 15 mins into a 10k before I'm settled.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I get this all the time, especially if I'm running in a nearby park. I run a five mile loop around the loch and the first mile is totally open so you can see the other side clearly. I start to feel down, because I can see how far I've got to go. I get it on other runs, but not as bad.

I'll need to start getting over it, as I'm starting training for my first half marathon soon.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I find that it takes my heart rate most of the 1st mile before it becomes fairly consistant.
It's always easy to start off too quickly and I suppose partly because of this it gives a bit of a shock to the system.I don't always warm up enough and this probably contributes to the heavy legged feeling that I sometimes experience.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Granty said:
Always question, questions and more questions, but here it is !

I have always suffered whilst running the first mile, it's the same if run a 2-3 miler or 6-8 miles. After approx a mile or so things seem to settle down and I enjoy the rest of the distance that I am running but during the first mile I feel 'wooden legged', out of breath etc, almost 'man flu' :eek: symptons.

Is this something other people suffer with, I had assumed as I progressed with my running it would go away, runners blues if you like, but this has not been the case.
I feel the same if I start off too quickly, I always try and remember to start off slow which nearly always helps. But some days you don't want to start off slow because you feel that you could go like a whippet :confused:

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thankyou all once again, I find it reassuring that others have the same experience starting off, I have now started running with a couple of mates and neither have ever complained of this. I'm guessing they are suffering in silence so as not to be the 1st to admit it.!! :embarrassed:

·
Registered
334 Posts
so glad to read all of the above...I thought it was just me!!!! and kept thinking that I was so unfit.....sometimes my legs feel like lead weights and I wonder how i'm going to make it but as you say Dan once you get into a rhythm Its fine.....

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
It always takes me 10-15 minutes for my muscles to warm up so I'm usually a little stiff legged and slightly more breathless for the first mile - its generally worse if I'm running with someone else as I always try a little bit harder.

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
It's not really the first mile with me; more the "getting out of the door"! I need to have a reason...ie meeting someone for a run, it's club night, training for a race. If there's no reason as such I will often just decide to be lardy or use the gym instead rather than pound the roads. If I do that for too long though I get another reason to run....the scales!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts