Runners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a veggie, and sometimes I worry I mightn't be getting the ideal amount of protein in my diet. Not that I think I'm going to waste away and die or anything, but rather that I'm running and going to the gym to both burn fat and get toned. I feel like I could do with a little more protein than I'm currently getting out of my veggie diet, to help my muscles build etc.

I eat Quorn stuff every now and then, which I'm hoping works as a decent supply of protein, and occasionally have tofu with things too. I'm starting to consider protein shakes of some kind now though - something that I have previously been a little averse to (being largely ignorant of whether they're a fad, whether they actually do the trick, and without any side effects, etc.).

Do people here drink protein shakes and things? Is there anything at all about them that I should know before trying them, if I do?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Lol, a veggie and a 101 owner - we're on a roll today :d

I am almost vegan, although do eat cheese twice a week on average. I just try to eat a varied diet of beans and pulses, nuts, cereals, pasta, tofu, soya mince, bread, fruit, etc, but don't do anything to topup on protein and have not felt any ill effects.

Hummus is a good source of protein I think, nice on toast, cheese as well but also can be high in fat.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never heard of quinoa until now... just wikipedia'd it and it sounds good :) Will look for some next time I go food shopping...

Does anyone here drink protein shakes though, and if not, is there any reason why not, etc?

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Ive not had any protein shakes but be sure to check the ingredients just in case they are non-veggie friendly. I guess that goes without saying really.

There was a thread kicking about about someone who is/was a body builder and they use shakes....

Just found this link about Veggie proteins, might be helpful: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/vegetarian_and_vegan/vegetarianproteins.shtml

O.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone here drink protein shakes though, and if not, is there any reason why not, etc?

hi i've just joined this forum, I'm veggie too and yes i do have protein shakes from time to time when i feel in need of extra protein :d

When i trained for my last marathon i took them regularly as my mileage was fairly high and i felt i benefitted from them and certainly bulked up my muscles quite noticeably.

I go for the maxi muscle ones as they are not made from milk as such and are easier to digest, i have never had a problem with them.

On the whole i find a good balanced diet helps and i eat loads of lentils, beans and things like seitan, tofu and TVP.

hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts