Runners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post my own findings on this.

I've struggled with recovery between runs. Particularly sore calf muscles.

I have been training for a half marathon and as part of this I have also been trying to lose weight.

As I've been trying to lose some weight, I have altered my diet.

We no longer buy biscuits, I don't eat Crisps, for the last year I have only drunk water (2L+ each day) other than a very rare drink when out for a meal etc. and the occasional pint of milk after a long run.

I did a rough estimation of how much protein I eat per day and on a good day I eat about 50g per day.

After a bit of searching, I found that the RDA is 0.36g/lb per day. Which equates to 70g per day for me.

However most people advised increasing this to between 0.45 and 0.72g/lb per day for runners. This equates to 88 - 140g per day.

I decided that, even though I had read on here that people advised not using protein shakes as they are not needed for the average person, I would give them a go.

I purchased a Recovery Protein, and have started to use it after running. It only adds 28g and at the moment I've only been having it 3 times per week (after each run).

My initial reaction was that it made no difference, my legs were still sore after a run - there was no mirracle cure after all! However the following day after the first use (21km run in 2 hours) my legs felt great. As I've continued to use it, I've found the following day my legs feel great after each run. The difference has been quite noticeable so far.

I've got to be honest, I went in quite sceptical - I bought a smallish bag as I figured I wouldn't stick with it. I have to admit though, I think I was wrong.

I'm sure this is different for everyone but, I have found it difficult to try to lose weight and to eat lots of protein. I'm tall and at just under 14 stone, probably weigh more than most runners. I don't carry much fat, and doubt I'll ever go below 13 stone. As the amount of protein is per lb of body weight I need more than an average runner. I am going to try and include more high protein foods in my diet, but will certainly continue with the shakes for now!

Just thought I'd post my experience - I'm not saying it is right for everyone but part of what put me off was the general opinion on here was that it wasn't necessary for runners.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I don't think there's any argument that protein after running is beneficial. The argument is that you don't need to buy a protein shake to get it since you can just use ordinary food. Personally, I've gone both the recovery shake and normal food route. Mostly I can't be bothered to make the recovery shake anymore.

It's also worth pointing out that you don't need it after every run. It's only useful after hard sessions such as speed work or races. Maybe long runs if they lasted more than an hour and a half.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I’m also a fan of a protein smoothie after hard workouts. And easy ones. In part because I think/hope it might be helpful with recovery etc. but also because I rather enjoy a refreshing and delicious smoothie after a workout!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apart from the protein i get from my daily meals i have a protein shake after i run orif i do a home light workout.
I use serious mass i take no notice of the recomended amount which if memory serves me right would give you 50g of protein i measure it down so i get 20g. I heard anything above 20g gets stored in the body and goes to waste don't know how correct that is.
I started drinking serious mass as i found i was losing weight because of my running but since i have actually put on weight to my ideal of 11st and its stayed static for the year i have been drinking serious mass.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been trying to lose weight at the same time as running, I have to be careful though as I can be left feeling drained.

I'm not what I would call fat, I live an active lifestyle and do other sports beside running.

I started in September at 205lbs (14s9lb), I'm now 192lbs (13s10lb)

I ran:
20km in Sept
60km in Oct
85km in Nov
25km in Dec (2 weeks of being ill)
90km in Jan

and I'm on for 100km in February.

According to the NHS BMI page my 'Healthy' Range is: 10s 5lb to 14s 1lb. So I'm within the healthy band. I don't really trust that band though as I have been 'bean pole' thin in the past and weighed 12 stone! I would never want to go below 12 stone.

I've changed my diet to cut out crisps and biscuits. I only drink water. However when counting up how much protein I'm consuming it isn't really enough.

I've still found the protein shakes have helped. After a long run they really help, after a shorter fast run, they (calf muscles) can still be sore for a few days.

·
Registered
319 Posts
So the podcast world has been having more and more people who have gone complete carnivore and their running has improved and injuries/aches reduced. I'm thinking of having a go myself

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I think that a lot of people over estimate the amount of protein they actually need. Claims like runners needing to have up to 70g/lb per day is meaningless, given that someone people may run 30 km per week, and the next person 150 km per week.

The general consensus seems to be that ingesting around 20-25g of protein directly after exercise is beneficial for muscle building and repair, more than that is fairly pointless as it's more about kick starting the body's system than anything else.

Personally, I almost never use supplements, I tend to aim for real food instead. My training runs are generally before a meal time, so I just work on the assumption that a generally healthy diet takes care of things. Maybe after a 40k+ run I will grab a shake, though that is more down to the fact that at that point I have little appetite for real food...

My overall impression - people become far too focused on macro-nutrition for their actual needs. If you are top of your game, then every little thing counts, for the rest of us, meh...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts