Runners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi folks . I think we covered this before but I cant find the posts. went out for my first spring ride today on my new bike and got puctures. I think I bought the wrong tyres over the winter as they feel as thin as paper! can anyone recommend good tyres that don't puncture every mile . Im no expert and don't need maximum speed. its for a road bike 700x25 size or 28x 1.00 Halfords carerra cheapo! any thanks.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I use continental gatorskins, hardly ever get punctures but feel a bit slippery in the wet.
definitely.... was amazed how little grip they had when i got some... can't wait to wear the buggers out.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Or maybe you need some rim tape?
nah its got that. the tyes I got felt like paper! says schwalbe durano etape. any one know this tyre? stuck the old worn ones back on that came with the wheels for just now. they feel solid BEFORE they are inflated! someone told me continental 4000s but they seem to cost more than my car tyres.:confused:

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Gatorskins are the perennial favourite, and what I use. They're not indestructible though; I've had plenty of glass through them on the paths here, but I imagine if I stuck to the roads they'd be ok.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gatorskins are the perennial favourite, and what I use. They're not indestructible though; I've had plenty of glass through them on the paths here, but I imagine if I stuck to the roads they'd be ok.
:tup: seems like the way to go. cheers.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
You'll do better if you actually check your tyres too... even if a thorn or shard doesn't give you a puncture straight away if you leave it in it can work it's way through until it does. Similarly leaving an open gash in the outer rubber is also leaving you more open to a puncture.

Looks for shards / stones / thorns embedded in the tyre after a ride and get them out and fill any gashes with superglue to stop further nasties getting in there.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:tup:
You'll do better if you actually check your tyres too... even if a thorn or shard doesn't give you a puncture straight away if you leave it in it can work it's way through until it does. Similarly leaving an open gash in the outer rubber is also leaving you more open to a puncture.

Looks for shards / stones / thorns embedded in the tyre after a ride and get them out and fill any gashes with superglue to stop further nasties getting in there.
:tup:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
FFS why is anyone talking about punctures. I was going to get my bike out this week and start commuting again(gave up over winter).

As soon as I get on the thing I'm guareteed to get one now. :d

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FFS why is anyone talking about punctures. I was going to get my bike out this week and start commuting again(gave up over winter).

As soon as I get on the thing I'm guareteed to get one now. :d
It was the first ride for me too!:'( (on the skinny tyers road bike )

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
seem to be doing fine now with the gators and have had a puncture free summer since I got them. correct tyre pressure seems to be a must. did not realise you have the away up at 100psi! my landrover only gets about 30.psi.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I finally found some conditions where gatorskins have grip.... german tarmac @ 25 degrees C or above.... soft & grippy as anything!

·
Registered
567 Posts
From January through to April I was getting 1-2 punctures every 1-2 weeks. Tyres were really old/worn down.

On April 21st I bought these (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/continental-supersport-plus-tyre-27-inch-630-prod24864/) and haven't had a puncture since! I have rode a fair bit as well, about 5-6hrs per week. The so-called blackbelt puncture protection seems to work.

Without jinxing myself, I can't see these tyres getting punctured any time soon... unless I deliberately ride over something like a police spike strip. Even then...

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From January through to April I was getting 1-2 punctures every 1-2 weeks. Tyres were really old/worn down.

On April 21st I bought these (http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/continental-supersport-plus-tyre-27-inch-630-prod24864/) and haven't had a puncture since! I have rode a fair bit as well, about 5-6hrs per week. The so-called blackbelt puncture protection seems to work.

Without jinxing myself, I can't see these tyres getting punctured any time soon... unless I deliberately ride over something like a police spike strip. Even then...
these look like good tyres to fit before the winter and gritted roads. look like proper tyres and not these paper thin racing types!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts