Runners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, having been a keen cyclist for a few years and assuming that the basic priciples of training are similar, i.e base miles to get fitness and intervals and threshold work to get speed and endurance.

Now that i'm getting into running, (OK i accept i'm not an elite but...)
I only intend to do 5 or 10 k races or sprint duathlons, so if i keep my base work to 6 mile runs, would pyramid sessions be the way forward to getting my speed up, (if you look at my training blog, it gives an insight into what i'm doing) i'm always happy to take advice as i am a newbee to all of this and new baby makes traing time sparce, so i won't want to waste hours pounding the streets of london only to get sore knees and not go any faster.

thanks in advance,

Craig

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
for pyramids i usually do

1.61km warm up

200m
200m recovery
400m
200m recovery
600m
200m recovery
800m
200m recovery
600m
200m recovery
400m
200m recovery
200m
1.61km warm down

my warmups and recoverys are around 6.4 min/km - 6.5 min/km with my interval bits being 5.05 min/km - 5.19 min/km

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i was keeping it shorter than that. but i thought it was a bit short to be honest. yours sounds better.

i did 100mts - 300 - 500 - 300 - 100 with similar recoveries as you and my time for the 500 was 2:15secs. not sure if that's ok or not?
I just notice that an hour of running hurts a lot more the next day than 4 hours of cycling, so i don't want to end up with too much pain and no gain.
would one of these sessions a week interspersed with 2 one hour easy or tempo sessions and perhaps a fartleck session be ample?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Speedwork sessions are a whole will undoubtedly help improve your speed... a pyramid session just being one type of speedwork session. If you're thinking you may be racing up to 10k, then I'd suggest it'd be worth having a longer run than 6miles somewhere in your schedule... of course to improve everyone needs to work on speed, but unless you can maintain that speed for the full 10k then it won't be as beneficial as it could be.

Anyways, to summarise, pyramid sessions would indeed be a good addition to your training schedule. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i see some peeps do really short sessions like 3 miles etc. i cant see how it can be worth putting the trainers on for that? i suppose being used to cycling, i have got used to spending hours in the saddle to get this "base fitness" some call it junk miles, others swear by it, those who swear by it are either rich, retired, divorced, never been married, unemployed or they work very short hours.

do we have a running equivalent?

i used to be one of the above but now i'm another one!
GUESS i gave clues lol)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no offence intended zanshin, i can run more than that but not very quickly im afraid.

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
We don't take offence easily here. I think a lot of 3 milers are either beginners (I still struggle some days) or working to a schedule. 3 fast miles has it's benifits.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well done, sounds like an achievement.

yep, i agree, i'd travel miles to do a short cycle race event, i've done 180 mile round trip to enter a 10 mile open time trial before now. (and finished near last or punctured) but i would not get my kit on and go out after/before work to just ride this distance, it would be the end goal to do a decent time in this type of event.
i would however travel similar distances to run a 5k race but just not in training.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts