Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rather old, but reliable Polar HRM's battery has just conked out, should I....

a) replace the battery, and get further use from my reliable, if rather unsexy, watch

b) buy a new, slightly sexier HRM (polar S200 perhaps)

or c) throw caution and finances to the wind and buy a Garmin 301.

Opinions please

flakey

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I think so (but 100% sure) I obtained mine 2nd hand and hence no manual (although you can download these online), the GPS function is cracking, seem to have a strong signal most of the time, being a beginner, I use a small fraction of what it is capable of I'm sure, but I'm sure I will start to use the advanced features when I run more often.

What in particular are you looking for the software to do ? (I'll see if I can find out for you?)

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've emailed the guy I got the watch from and asked the question about software, I;'m not sure how much detail you want, but what I like is that after each session there is a summary mode on the watch which stores the following, average speed, fastest speed, time, distance etc. This data stays on the watch until you manually reset it (each new run for me)

Is this what you mean ? or are you after something more sophisicated that you can download into another bit of software for evaluation.?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At the moment I simply enter all the data from my watch into a spreadsheet manually. However I know alot of the higher end watches have software which will do this automatically and then allow you to analyse and compare your runs at a later date.

For training ar my level I probably do not need half the functionality that these watches have, however I do like a gadget and a statistic or two!

flakey

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just purchased a polar 800SD
before you all say it... yes I do have more money than sense!
Can't wait to try it out

flakey

for anyone interested quandry should have another a in it!

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Just had a look. Very nice.

First line of description...........Designed for elite level training.

Not for me then...:d

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Hi Flakey,

What was the watch like then, the reason I ask is that my Ironman Timex one has died a death and I'm deciding if it is worth getting it repaired or maybe get a new one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts