Runners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you race do you take any notice of your surroundings or are you "in the zone"?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
I certainly have a general look around, but it's hardly like I'm sight seeing, I can always remember if a course was nice, what the surroundings are like etc.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Don`t know about being in the zone..

I always take notice of my surroundings, Until I get so knackered all I see is the next few yards of floor in front of me.........

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I find the surrounding help me to get 'in the zone'! Especially nice country surroundings, or an interesting stately home or nice village - particularly new ones. I definitely prefer it. I used to find it so hard to be inspired running at the gym - particularly when the channels were on football or news.... I had to rely on my own music and look away from them.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I tend to have very vivid memories of particular "snap shots" during the early part of a race. Boy in a wheelchair clapping / Mum and toddler cheering / lone American shouting "Awesome - way to go guys" at every runner.

The latter stages are a bit of a blur...

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I take in the surroundings cant help it, in norfolk/suffolk there are some lovely surroundings, thatched cottages, horses, farms.

:)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I tend to have very vivid memories of particular "snap shots" during the early part of a race. Boy in a wheelchair clapping / Mum and toddler cheering / lone American shouting "Awesome - way to go guys" at every runner.

The latter stages are a bit of a blur...
I concur!!! I seem to only remember the annoying/distracting things though - like I remember the Sutton Park 10k - there was this little girl on a bike cycling with the runners and she was just ahead of me and getting in my way for quite a big section :mad: Also this woman racer went bounding over to some spectators and their large dogs, only about 3k into the race (and stayed with them chatting!) At Wedgenock (Warwick) I remember a marshall saying 'good form' when I ran past - and at Brecon a marshall saying 'lookin' good!!'. At a run back in March when it had snowed the previous night, I was busy dodging puddles so looking at my feet most of the way!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
I take in parts but mostly don't always remember it fully.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
I usually only take in the scenery at the start of the race. I'm usually too tired at the end of the race to bother about scenery, especially if its a half marathon or longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts