Runners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi

When I did selection for the army my upper body strength was way above average, but I found the 1.5mile run quite difficult and came close to last (think it was about 10min30s). So, I decided I needed to do some work on my leg strength (I have until May when I start basic training for the Army).

I bought these sensei because there will be a lot of indoor PT sessions.

sportsshoes.com/product/ASI720/asics-gel-sensei-spring-summer-2008-indoor-court-shoe

I also bought the toranas because i live in a rural area with lots of forests and fields with public footpaths along this rough terrain. The idea was to use them to get my legs in better shape between now and when I start training (May).

sportsshoes.com/product/ASI745/asics-gel-torana-trail-shoe-

A bit of information on myself:

I'm a 20yr old Male, average build and havn't done any real running since School. I passed Army selection without preparing for it but I am used to lifting heavy weights. Also, my selection was for a computer based job (so it is less physically demanding than most).

Another thing to note: When I got back from selection I found it very difficult to walk for 2-3days - I guess simply because my legs weren't used to it.

So yea, I just want to know how much I should be running for the next 2months until I begin. I would also appreciate your opinions on the trainers I choose and any other advice for an amateur off road runner.

Thanks!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Manners said:
Hi

When I did selection for the army my upper body strength was way above average, but I found the 1.5mile run quite difficult and came close to last (think it was about 10min30s). So, I decided I needed to do some work on my leg strength (I have until May when I start basic training for the Army).

I bought these sensei because there will be a lot of indoor PT sessions.

sportsshoes.com/product/ASI720/asics-gel-sensei-spring-summer-2008-indoor-court-shoe

I also bought the toranas because i live in a rural area with lots of forests and fields with public footpaths along this rough terrain. The idea was to use them to get my legs in better shape between now and when I start training (May).

sportsshoes.com/product/ASI745/asics-gel-torana-trail-shoe-

A bit of information on myself:

I'm a 20yr old Male, average build and havn't done any real running since School. I passed Army selection without preparing for it but I am used to lifting heavy weights. Also, my selection was for a computer based job (so it is less physically demanding than most).

Another thing to note: When I got back from selection I found it very difficult to walk for 2-3days - I guess simply because my legs weren't used to it.

So yea, I just want to know how much I should be running for the next 2months until I begin. I would also appreciate your opinions on the trainers I choose and any other advice for an amateur off road runner.

Thanks!
What's the target time your looking to gain?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have no particular target im just trying to get better prepared and gain some stamina. I guess it would be nice to do 1.5miles in under 8mins. I've done 9mins before but the reason i got a bad result on my army selection was due to my legs being tired and aching from the night before in PT. This is due to me generally being unfit i guess.

Thanks

·
Registered
835 Posts
Manners said:
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I have no particular target im just trying to get better prepared and gain some stamina. I guess it would be nice to do 1.5miles in under 8mins. I've done 9mins before but the reason i got a bad result on my army selection was due to my legs being tired and aching from the night before in PT. This is due to me generally being unfit i guess.

Thanks
1.5 in less than eight, thats quite a tall order TBH. I've been running regularly for a year now and rarely get under 8 mins for a mile. However, you are more than half my age so it's not impossible.

The only advice I can give you is to get out there regularly. I manage about 25 miles a week at the moment and my PB's are tending to change week by week

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Indeed, not an easy feat by any means... I've been running for 3 years now (admitedly starting at an 'obese' weight). My current form is 12k in 47:11, 10k in sub 39:30, and I'd have to be going at an all out effort to beat 8mins, even then I'm not sure if I could make it!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey Manners,

I agree with sc8pe here, you just need to consistently get out running (3 times a week minimum). Make sure the majority of your running is easy pace too, otherwise you'll just be constantly sore.

Sub 8 for 1.5 miles is fierce too, I'd have a more realistic aim in the short term as that would take more than a couple of months training unless you are very naturally talented.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your advice I'm gonna try to do 3days a week with rest days inbetween. What about distance, or time? I am really bad when I run because I start out running with like 85% effort then 5mins later im getting tired already and thinking about stopping. How fast should I generally run when trying to just improve fitness, or is jogging speed ok?

i don't think 8mins is unrealistic. I am 6ft3 and quite an athletic build I guess (which is strange because I very rarely do excercise). If I am on form and really put the effort in I can do 9mins and thats without running properly for about 5years. I'm not sure though, it's not all about the time for me - I just want to be able to do it without being in pain afterwards. I don't need to be incredibly fast I just want to be able to get through my training without really struggling on the physical side of it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You'll always need to put the effort in if you want to do 1.5 in 8 mins and as lazy says, you'll need more than a couple of months to achieve it. Getting out there is key to it, but more importantly you have to enjoy it. I don't think you’ll enjoy it if you set targets that are too difficult to achieve.

That's not to say that I don't think it can be done, but I think you need to set yourself an easier target to start with and then you can adjust your training accordingly once you have reached your goal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm ok thanks i'll take that on board.

some guys at the army selection that were doing commando courses and stuff got around 6mins20 for the 1.5miles if I remember correctly - pretty insane. A little bit faster and they wouldve lapped me!! (1.5m was 2runs around the camp).

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Manners said:
So what about the shoes I choose? Any views on them would be appreciated. Thanks
It's a very hard thing to recommend a particular shoe .
I've tried on loads all around the same price bracket the same size and all neutral shoes ,
and i found that some felt quite uncomfortable some were too tight some needed a bit more in the toe box some felt ok and then some you put on and think these are the ones immediately you step into them they just feel right !

Sorry i can't be more help best advice is try some on at a good running shop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Cheriton

I mean the ones that I've already chosen, they are in the original post. I'm just wondering if anyone else uses them, from what I've seen the outdoor ones are very nice and maintain grip on very wet mud. The indoor ones I haven't properly tested yet, but they are nice and lightweight and a good fit.

·
Banned
2,297 Posts
Sorry Manners trust a bloke not to read all the instructions still can't help as i run in Saucony progrid triumph 5's

Good luck anyway i'm sure someone on here will be able to help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts