Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Well I woke up one morning and decided to do some right for the world!! With big dreams of running a marathon I've decided to be realistic and start off slow...I'm doing the Race for Life on Saturday 31st May. I have opened my own blog on here to help me keep on 'track' and stick to my goals...The race for life is 5km!!! but things are getting easier...I'm Walking 2 mile 3 times a week, going out jogging 1.5 mile with friends once a week, swimming one night a week and maybe some cycling when I can...things started off hard but are starting to get easier, I've blogged the last week but been doing the plan for about 3. I'm on a diet and I have just started training myself to drink 8 glasses of water a day, I'm feeling fab already!! What are all you guys up to and has anyone got any tips??? xx:confused:

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
ldewsnap said:
:confused: I have just started training myself to drink 8 glasses of water a day, I'm feeling fab already!! What are all you guys up to and has anyone got any tips??? xx:confused:

First of all, well done for setting out on your running "journey"... You seem to be doing ok View attachment 281 . I know that you will get plenty of response and advice from other forum members, but I'll start off on something which is a "pet" subject of mine: water. I know we've recently been led to believe that we "need" 8 glasses of water each day. It's just not true. I wasn't drinking that much even when I was running over 100 miles a week.
If anyone is having to "train" themselves, or force themselves to drink more than they really feel like drinking (ie... the amount required to quench a thirst), then I'd say that they are taking on fluid that the body just doesn't need.
Sorry to go on a bit, but it's an opinion formed after many years of running experience, and no doubt you will read contradictory posts either here or on other related threads. At the end of the day, only you will be able to decide (using your coming experiences) what is right/wrong for you.
Good luck, and keep up the good work.:d

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Welcome Lou. welcomeW.gif

Well done for starting on your journey to the marathon.(might get there myself one day.)

Listen to the experienced runners on this forum (that dosn`t include me...:d ) and you won`t go far wrong.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Good for you ! :d

I certainly wished I had incorporated some cross training when I started like you have done, you sound well on track so far, hope it all goes well. On the water front, I made a couple of mistakes early on in consuming far too much on a couple of longer runs and suffered badly for it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts