Runners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, 5 weeks out of training after my foot injury meant I just wasn't fit enough to run it all, and the scorching sun didn't help. But, I did it in about 42 mins, and I reckon I jogged at least half of it. There was a stonking big up hill for most of the second km, so I'm far from convinced that I'd have been able to run it all anyway. I definitely gave it all I could today, but 42 mins is certainly up for beating as my pb!

I've learned a few things, too.

1. Don't wear shoes without socks on a really hot day the day before a race/run, no matter how comfortable they've been in the past. Swollen and sweaty feet with no socks means rubbed raw heels and blisters. Really not a good state to start a run in.

2. If you're going to try to avoid long queues on the way to a race by taking the back route, either take satnav or a map, don't rely on your memory. Do have the sense (as I did, thankfully), to give up and go back to the main road when you realise you are thoroughly lost.

3 (and most importantly). Jogging/walking 5km on a scorching hot day, making yourself very nearly sick in the process, is not something I'd ever have thought could be fun, but I've discovered it really can be, and crossing that finishing line feels damn good :d

I'm going to do it again next year, and next time I'm going to jog it all, even that hill.

·
Premium Member
6,618 Posts
Congrats on getting a new PB :)
Never done a 5k race but it does sound like something I would like to try.

Just think next time you will be more prepared and you will smash your PB time :)

O.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
well done BP :)

I'm doing the race for life in Bristol with my daughter next saturday

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trinity said:
well done BP :)

I'm doing the race for life in Bristol with my daughter next saturday
Hope you have a good time :)

Thanks both of you. I really wish I'd been able to run (well, jog) the whole thing, but at least I know I did my best.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
Hope you have a good time :)

Thanks both of you. I really wish I'd been able to run (well, jog) the whole thing, but at least I know I did my best.
absolutely!

and keep training and you will be able to run further and further :rolleyes:

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well done there, bagpuddy!
Don't wait until next year to do it again, I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to have another go.:)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob said:
Well done there, bagpuddy!
Don't wait until next year to do it again, I'm sure you're chomping at the bit to have another go.:)
I'm not :) I've signed up for another 5k in September, and I'm sure there'll be other runs/races along the way, too.

·
Registered
506 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
I'm not :) I've signed up for another 5k in September, and I'm sure there'll be other runs/races along the way, too.
That's the spirit! Incidentally, I've just discovered that there's a new weekly 5K time trial in the park happening every Saturday morning just down the road from me and it's FREE! It's all organised by runners and volunteers and everyone is welcome. The youngest lad has just earned his first 2K Fun Run t-shirt and goody bag last month and he's got me signing him up for all sorts of races this summer so I think he'll be interested. Good luck with your training and your future races too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well done BPC! I've got my R4L on 20 July, bet that will be a scorcher too! Thankfully it's round some rugby pitches so should be fairly flat.

·
Registered
10,185 Posts
bagpuddycat said:
Well done, BPC! Glad to hear you enjoyed the race enough to sign up for another one.

Is the next step a 10km?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grant said:
Is the next step a 10km?
Whoah, hold on there, let me manage to actually run a 5k before we start talking about 10 :p

But yes, at some point, I'd hope so.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Whether you walked or ran, you did it - well done!

My RFL is at the beginning of July, so I've got a while to go yet. I'm obviously going to have to start training in the heat if it's going to continue like this - I've only ever run in the winter/cooler weather!

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Well done BPC and good for you for booking your next event :p

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Well done Bag i remember my first RFL i did my first in 42 mins walking and running the next year i did it in 30 mins so a PB is a definate for you !!!

Well done

Hugs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts