Runners Forum banner

Race for Life

13K views 76 replies 25 participants last post by  Pokes 
#1 ·
Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone is planning to run in a Race for Life this year?

I thinking of running in one of the edinburgh ones, but I'm not sure which. I'm assuming the one at Hopetoun House is flatter than the one around Holyrood, but that's not really an issue since I live on top of a hill, so all my runs have uphills and downhills - no flat bits though :(

Tracy

#7 ·
hi dawnie.... i supported my wife at coventry R4L last year, although it was at the memorial park. she's not down to do it this year tho'.

i hear mixed reviews about R4L but even i was impressed with the atmosphere.

#10 ·
Dawnie said:
Cant wait... I'm really looking forward to it, but everyone I know is running at the memorial park not Coombe Abbey, so looks like I will be on my own :(
Dawnie one thing you can guarantee about a R4L is that you will never be alone but surrounded by 100s and 1000s of women. It gets quite emotional reading peoples messages!!

#20 ·
I'm doing the race for life in Oldham this year in June, ive wanted to do it for a couple of years and never got round to it. I started training in January and ive found it really addictive. I had a running partner but recently lost her(not in a bad way) so started going it alone and its not so bad, there's no one holding me back now. Funnily enough i bought a R4L t-shirt today so i'm really excited.:d

#21 ·
Its exciting now its getting closer isnt it !!

I am having a few problems at the moment though, keep getting a burning pain in the sole of my left foot... had my trainers fitted properly, so not sure what else to do... will work through it though.... determined to ! Running on the treadmill between 5k-6k in 34-40 mins...

#25 ·
The running club that I go to is part of the gym I'm a member of. They are all faster (and younger !) than me, but I go along and they are really good, one of them will always stop back with me, they never leave me on my own, we usually do the 4.5miles in about 45 mins. The social side is good as well, having people to keep you company, makes the distance seem not as long !!

#26 ·
Stotty,
I felt exactly the same when I first joined a club. However everyone was really friendly and someone ran with me at my pace and I've made some really good friends through running. A good club will cater for newbies and more conventional running clubs (i.e. those not affliated to a gym) have runners of ALL ages and abilities. The bonus of being in a club as well is that you get cheaper entries into races. Running with someone faster also can bring on your running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.