Runners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:d Hi Ya,

I have been running now for the first time in my life for 7 weeks as am so passionate about cancer research dus to family and friends that have passed away or recovering from cancer. I started at 10 minutes and have just managed to run 3 miles, when i say run i'm probably quite slow it takes me 30 minutes but i am really enjoying it and it's great to have a goal. I am 42 and going to go to a local running group run by a sports shop on monday night for the first time and am bit nervous in case every one is so much faster than me but hey ho will give it a try anyway. What i would really like is some advice on when you should rest as i am only doing 3 miles now aiming for 5 evenings a week is it so important to rest as it is if you are doing much further distances?

·
Premium Member
13,089 Posts
Great to hear you're doing so well with the running forest - well done for finding a running group as well, don't worry about your speed as I can virtually guarantee there will be people there running at your pace.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss of family/friends through this [email protected] illness - I know exactly how you feel. I assume from the title of the thread you're running teh race for life? If so, good on you!!!

Rest is definately important to build into your schedule, regardless of your ability -though probably even more so as a relative newcomer to the sport. Your training volume is usually pretty much in line with your running ability, so 3 miles 5 times a week will most likely have the same effect on your body, as 8miles 5 times a week to someone who's used to running 40miles per week.

If you're running 5 times a week, I'd say it'd probably work best if you have a rest day at the end of the week, and one midweek. Though you need to go with how you feel! If you've had your rest day and your legs are still feeling tired and a little achey, it may be worth resting another day to try and let them recover rather than risking an overuse injury, which can come about all too easily when you start running as it usually takes a good few months for the body to adapt to the new strains and stressed being placed on it.

Hope my waffle helps a little! lol.

·
Registered
9,640 Posts
Hi Forest

Good for you, sounds like you are doing great with your training and you are by no means slow so don't worry one bit when you go to your running club, besides they are there to encourage you which I have no doubt that's exactly what they will do.

Good luck with your race for life, this being your first race I expect, make sure you take it all in and enjoy it you will feel 10 feet tall when you have finished and will be talking about it for weeks afterwards.

Let us know how you get on with the club and how you did on the RFL.

TT :d

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks for your comments thats really helpful, only just logged on so not seen your replies, i'm going to the running club tonight for the first time so a bit nervous but quite excited, i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks again. fingers crossed.

:d

1 - 4 of 4 Posts